Sigh!

Well, we are back home again. I do love my little haven here, but I had an instant feeling of claustrophobia as soon as we pulled into our yard. It was good for my soul to be out in the wide open spaces for awhile. I need it; it's in my blood. I even loved the perpetual smell of barns and horse manure in the air! Kaden, on the other hand, would loudly say "Ewww! Stinky poop!" whenever he got a whiff!

The boy's Great Grammy gave them each a little cash for Christmas, so yesterday afternoon, we took them on a train ride in Strasburg all through the Amish country. Jesse was free, so he generously bought my ticket for me! What a sweet chap! :0) We rode on the oldest working train in the state and got a fabulous history lesson as we chugged our way through the countryside. It was SO awesome!

After that, we just putzed around here and there, went for a scenic drive, and then we all went swimming in the evening. Today we just enjoyed our room until it was time to leave. While Jesse got his morning nap in, Kaden, Kev, and I did a puzzle and played Go Fish - in which Kev cheated, let me add - and then we hit the road for home. On our way home, we went to Kitchen Kettle Village and got tons of yummy samples from one of their stores, stopped at a market that sells bulk food supplies, stopped at a farm and bought some homemade root beer, and stopped at another house and bought a homemade chicken pot pie for supper. We're pretty much all about the food! We also played on a little playground and sat in some grass and watched some little goats play for awhile, too! Random - but glorious!

So, now we're home. I don't know about you, but when I come back from being gone for a few days, I can't just simply unpack. I have to dust and vacuum, rearrange a little, and do a little organizing too in order to feel settled back in! Slightly anal, me thinks, but it's just how I am. So, now that is done, all of my boys are abed, and I must hit the hay, as well. A mountain of laundry and an empty fridge await me in the morning!

7 comments:

Angie said...

i love you. and I love that we titled our posts for today 'sigh.' :) sooo happy you had such a great time! we are headed out tomorrow to Marie & alex's for a few days, and really looking forward to it! we plan on skating on the rideau canal with the kiddies, doing some tubeing (sledding), and just relaxing with them. so, i'll update next week...have a great weekend! xoxoang

Anonymous said...

Ame - just left you and Ang a joint-message on her blog, but - thought I'd pop on over to yours, too, and see what's new with you...glad you guys had a good time away...I understand the feelings of 'claustrophobia' when you get back, but - its still nice to get home. Unpacking is usually the very first thing we do...I cannot STAND having bags and stuff all over the place...kudos to you for vacuuming and dusting as well...

Okay - we need to try to arrange to all get together sometime...I'm feeling it...perhaps 'cause I'm about to have a baby, and realize how life is about to change, but - also realizing how LONG it has been since we've all been together...Rob & Ang are coming here in July sometime...you guys should SERIOUSLY think about coming, too!!! PEI has lots of open spaces...Oh, please, oh, please, oh please...come here...lots of camping grounds...oh my word - it would be grand. I keep thinking, too, of how nice it would be to spend time with each other's kids, too - we don't even know each other's families...that's sad. Imagine if our mother's hadn't spent time together since having kids...we may not even be friends?

Okay - it would be so lovely.

Anyways...I'll leave that with you - I know its a long drive. We are also really hoping to make it down to NY sometime in the fall...that's our plan, anyways...hard to plan this far in advance, but - it would be great to get down and see your life in Philly before you leave it....

Hope you guys have a great day - and a wonderful weekend...

Love you...

Anonymous said...

You gonna play my guessing game? ...I'll adjust the prize if you're the winner...

Hope you have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

awwww makes me miss lancaster, it is one of my favorite places to visit too! my dad dragged us to strasburg just so we could see the model train museum. you guys should go there if you ever get a chance. the boys would have fun running around and pushing all the buttons to make the trains go. i know i did! haha i sampled some homemade root beer at an amish store and it was pretty gross! glad to hear you guys had a good time!

Jessica said...

Amy just wanted to let youknow that I am enjoying the links to some other blogs. Glad to hear you had a great vacation. Have a great weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

oh ame, I totally feel your angst with the city/country/need for open spaces thing. It really is almost a physical, palpable need for us! and when we're there it is like a big sigh of contentment just goes out of you.
I rode the Strasburg train as a kid but don't remember much. what fun!
Peter says your last paragraph sounds familiar :) hee hee
Good night friend!

rachael a said...

i feel so left out just finding this NOW. . thanks to SHANNON!!. .
and like i have some serious catching up to do. :-)