Ransom Malachi


One year ago this morning, after a VERY eventful previous day of moving into our new home, sweet Ransom Malachi - "God's messenger of hope and deliverance" was born. He was my longest and most intense labor, but my most controlled delivery and quickest recovery, as well. After he was born Kev said: "Hey! I think we're getting the hang of this!" Ha!

Kaden's birth was a very traumatic experience for us - in every sense of the word. My doctor was on vacation, so I had a creep-o take her place with absolutely no bedside manner. I was induced, which I was absolutely against, but my kidneys were in distress; and Kaden was born so uncontrolled and so quickly that I almost lost my womb as a result. I barely got a chance to give him a kiss before I was whisked to surgery, and every thing about it was just plain awful.

When I was due with Jesse in PA, I found a midwife who was completely "hands off" in her approach and very willing to do everything possible to avoid induction. My kidneys still started getting sick, but we waited. I trusted her and she trusted me. We did natural things, I laid on my side, I peed in a ginormous bucket for them to monitor etc. etc. - and he came on his own, twenty minutes after walking through the hospital doors - one week before due date.

Then we moved home, and I was pregnant with Ransom. Two extremely different birth experiences, and I was desperate to replicate my second. Because of a friend (Sarah, I will forever sing your praises), we found a little hospital an hour away that's considered a level 2 birthing center. They are known for letting women "write their own birth stories." And so Kev and I compromised. He said he never ever wants to deliver on the side of the road. Once things get rolling with me, my babies come quickly. And I hate hospitals. So, the deal was, when he said it was time to kick it there would be NO discussion. I agreed.

So, that was the deal. When Kev said he wanted to go, we left. And within the hour of our arrival, sweet Ransom was born - peacefully, slowly, and just the way we wanted it. And how this first year of his little life has FLOWN! I know now, third time around, that all stages of our children's lives are FLEETING. And I have tried - oh, how I've tried - to savor him. Not knowing if he'll be our last, I am just trying to enjoy each and every stage to its fullest. Rancey was our easiest and most "chill" baby, hands down - and he's quickly turning into our strongest willed wee little person! He is definitely a funny blend of both his two older brothers.

Happy first birthday to my little Ransom Malachi - our sweet joy and our sunshine. You have added life, crazyness, and a new dimension of "loud" to our home. And you have also brought us such joy and delight. You are loved deeply, dear one. Mama must give you many MANY kisses today...and lots of squishies......and a few nibbles.

You are delicious. And for your birthday, I shall feed you grapes for every meal, because they are your FAVORITE!!!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Aw...what a sweet, sweet little addition to the man clan. Happy birthday, little fella! Congrats, ma and pa on making it a full year with three under foot! :o)

Kelsey B. said...

Ransom did love those grapes when I babysat for your little men... :-)