Brothers

Warning: Super long post ahead......

Part of the reason why I always wanted boys was that I only had brothers growing up. It's what I know. Boys say it like it is. When they're irritated, they let you know, and then they move on. No pettiness. No grudges held. No talking behind each other's back. What you see is what you get. I like that. I'm not a real big fan of drama. And though, I know of many MANY little girls who I would be thrilled and honored to call my own - I'm just as happy being stuck with my little hooligans. The Lord knows there's enough drama with three boys, as it is!

(Why RIGHT this very instant, as I type - truth be told - I'm dealing with a little drama of "Kaden touched me and he got me weeeeet! I don't like to be weeeet!" Toughen up, Buttercup. Get over it. (Stole that quote from you, Rach. Love it).

Anyway, I digress.....

Back to MY brothers. I have two of those bad boys. Two men who I would die for, and who I know would do the same for me. Two men who I am blessed to be able to say are two of my greatest friends. One is older and one is younger. Both quite different from the other in personalities. One calls me weekly and talks my ear off. The other doesn't say a whole lot.

This post is about HIM.

Clay is quiet. He is shy. He is gentle. He is deep. And he doesn't talk a whole lot unless he's in the mood. And when he's in the mood, I drop everything, because I'm never sure when the mood will strike him again! A few years ago, he asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I told him that I wanted him to write me a poem. He's a gifted writer, and he's shown me things that he's written over the years about his own life, about Mom and Dad, about his struggles, etc. And so I told him, I noticed he'd never written anything about his rockin' sister, and I wasn't afraid to resort to begging, so that's what I wanted.

And he delivered. This was written about three years ago, when I was pregnant with Jesse. Obviously some of the things that he writes about, no one will get but us, but here is just a wee little window into my biggest bro's heart. I LOVE him. He is the reason why I always wanted a boy first; why I wanted all of my other children to have a big brother like I did. He would NOT be impressed if he knew I was sharing this poem, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't read my blog, so he'll never know! And if he does....he'll get over it. He's a boy.

Okay....here are just a few lines from his gift:

When I Was a Small Child and My Sister Was Mine

When I was just little
And my sister was mine
We played when we wanted
Every day was just fine.

When you were a baby
I was naught but a child
The days passed with pleasure
The memories were mild.

When I was a small child
And my sister was mine
We played on that toy box
All the days seemed sublime.

As we've gotten older
Gain responsibility
There'll not be another
Time when life was so free.

We each had our own swing
Between maple trees
I remember swinging
I can still feel the breeze.

When you would play soccer
I would come with Keaton
Ride up in Dad's bronco
See who you were beating.

We ate paper towels (don't ask)
Put our feet on the bar
Now we are both married
And you're living quite far.

That man Kevin Booker
Came and took you away
You have a family
With one more on the way.

Kaden is a fine boy
He reminds me of you
And Kevin his Daddy
Can be seen in him too.

You used to wear glasses
And you had braces too
You don't even squint now
And your teeth look like new.

She's still very pretty
Though she is my sister
I'm sure there have been boys
Who wished they had kissed her.

You're still just as pretty
Though you have hit thirty
But I'd like to revisit
Times when we were both free.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, my word...how very sweet...especially coming from the mind of an otherwise quiet man...makes me tear up! (I know, I know...toughen up, buttercup!) :o) That is so incredibly sweet that he wrote that for you..
P.S. I think having all those boys suits you just fine. We rather like them!

Anonymous said...

Totally amazing Amy. What a sweet brother. I can see why you love him!