Summer & Lessons Learning.

It's this time of year that I especially love having little children.

There is so much that they can teach me about slowing down and really seeing. This is not my nature. I see so much in every day that needs to be accomplished and conquered and checked off my list - my tendency is to fly through my day on full tilt. I wake up with an agenda, and - in my book - a successful day is when all got accomplished that was intended.

I'm pretty sure this isn't always - or maybe even ever - how God views a successful day. And if I'm not careful, I will miss the simple wonder of all of the every day moments that He wants me to see. The daily, moment by moment gifts that He gives me.

Three boys make me slow down, and this is a good thing.

I read somewhere that if we really want to see things through a toddler's eyes, then we should add about a half hour to every event that we're trying to accomplish - a walk, an errand, a task etc. Little children are good at slowing and seeing. We are good at rushing and blitzing through life.

There is much my kids can teach me.

1177. First rhubarb jam of the season - cooking with the boys.

(I am really great at getting the task accomplished quickly and efficiently. Let's get'er done. They are good at taste testing, smelling, and exclaiming over and over again at its yummy-ness).

1222. Gardening...and weeding...and hopefully a successful veggy season.

(I am good at accomplishing the task. They talk about the size of the different seeds, the worms and bugs that get unearthed, and they get stoked about using the hose. I see this as a task. They see it as an event).

1217. Slip'n'slides and hot May days.

(I see laundry that needs hanging, a lawn that needs mowing, and flowers that need mulching. They help me sit and savor them. All this other stuff will be here tomorrow. They won't be).

1215. Simple summer pleasures.

(It's free. It's a child's wonderland. I stop and sit. I work to play).

1211. Childhood wonder...joy in the small.

(Because that's really what all of life is, right? A whole bunch of small little things that combine and mesh into one big messy, crazy, happy life).

1234. A new pet...for a time.

(I see another creature who's tank needs cleaning and salmanella if they don't wash their hands after holding it. They see beauty, amazement, wonder and sweet thankful hearts to Jesus for a turtle who just walked up our driveway).

1235. This place where he proposed and "we" began.

(I don't want to ever forget our beginnings. In the crazyness of child-rearing, we need to remember "us." I refuse to allow this man to become a stranger throughout the years. When they move out, by God's grace, we will still be strong and in love).

1231. Brother love.


Yes. They have much to teach me.

"To receive God's gifts, to live exalted and joy filled, isn't a function of straining higher, harder, doing more, carrying long the burdens of the super-Pharisees or ultra-saints. Receiving God's gifts is a gentle, simple movement of stooping lower." ~ Ann Voskamp - One Thousand Gifts

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Sweet post. And just adorable boys...they are lucky to have a Mama like you!! And you are, of course, so blessed to be their Mama...what a special gift...those 3 sweet boys...I love you guys.

Psalm117ptg said...

I love it! Thanks for the refreshing read.