Mr. Caleb

Moving to Pennsylvania three years ago to go back to school was the biggest step of faith for me that I have ever taken in my life. I am a root digger, I love being close to family, I'm a small town country girl, and I hate change. Selling our home that we hadn't even lived in for two years with a baby who was barely one, and moving to the big city where we knew absolutely no-one was a recipe for a panic attack for me. I grieved the idea of a move, and when we went to freshmen orientation and were the ONLY ones pushing a baby around in a stroller, I thought we'd gone off the deep end.

But that journey, and those three years, had God's grace written all over it.

Looking back, our chapter in Pennsylvania was one of the happiest seasons of our life. We lived in married student housing with other couples who had completely uprooted, like we had done, and we all became each other's family. It was glorified dorm life - only we were all married.

During those three years in PA, we made some lifelong friends - one of them being a crazy kid named Caleb. From the moment I knew that we were actually making this move, I prayed long and hard for some surrogate family members, especially for Kaden, and for uncles in particular, since I am so close to both of my brothers.

(Helping us move home. Remember?)
(Long Sundays at church where you watched the crazies).

Well. Kev met this kid named Caleb in one of his classes, and somehow - I don't even really know how or when it happened, he just became part of our family. He loved on my little boy, and he just became part of our life out there.

Mr. Caleb - you say you're "an avid reader" of my blog. If that's the case, and you're not just pulling my leg - this post is a shout out to you. You rock. You totally and completely rock. The package that you sent to us was absolutely amazing, and I cannot believe that so many years later, you are still sending Kaden birthday packages...and Kevin Starbucks. You are amazing. Thank you for loving us so well.

And thanks for the books. Especially this one.
And for the advice on girls.
That was hilarious.

*****
1236. Birthday packages from cherished friends.
1239. Brendan Caleb Way and how he loves on our family.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Like Jesse needs a book on "dangerous boys"!!!! Those raw knees scream "danger"! HA! Hopefully he'll heed some of the wisdom on courting girls when he comes 'round to call on mine. :-) What a sweet fella this Mr. Caleb is.