Summer Loves

Our school year is complete, so that means summer is officially here.

Birthdays have been celebrated, major spoiling has taken place, and now we are easing into a little less structured routine - an easier rhythm of sorts - and we are finding a new norm.

These are the days for slip 'n' slide baths, sun kissed skin, milkshakes for lunch, bloodied knees from all of the bike riding, and the ratio of being outside vs. being inside leaning far more in favor of the outside play.

I am loving it.

And - as always - it's the little things that make this much too short of a season so special.

:: Campfires, stories, and s'mores in the evenings.

:: Outside chores that are most definitely work - but they are fulfilling tasks, in their own rite, as well. Wood for the winter and veggies for the table. Gifts, really.

:: Little hoolies with some mad skills. (Completely irrelevant to today's post).

:: And pansies. I love pansies. They were my Gram's favorite flowers, thus they are one of mine, as well. They also don't bother my husband's allergies, so I can bring them inside. AND, the more you pick them, the more they grow! Win win for all!

:: Summer vacation is also the time for random and completely unplanned playdates. I am a planner by nature, but there's something about spontaneous invites that give me great joy in throwing laundry and weeding to the wind! Time with a fellow Mama - though brief and perpetually interrupted is a treasure and a precious gift admist life's craziness.

:: Meet Hopper - our new pet. Kaden and I have come to a brilliant agreement where both parties are happy. He may fill this one aquarium with whatever he wants for a critter - or critters as long as they get along. We can enjoy them for a few days, and then when he finds something new, we exchange. We do not ADD TO our collection - we trade. This is how the summer has gone down, so far: 2 salamanders for 10 frogs. 10 frogs for 1 turtle. And today, 1 turtle for Hopper. I was kind of diggin' the turtle, but I'm not breaking the system. We're golden.

:: Sheets flapping in the wind, and smelling like nobody's business. Delish.

:: Summer is NOT the time for getting a girlfriend. Jesse told Daddy at the supper table tonight that he held Kirsten's hand - not once, but "TWO TIMES, DADA"! This child. I WILL have grey hair when I'm forty. No doubt.

:: Peppers, onions, corn, tomatoes, lettuce, swiss chard - all poking their heads up through the ground. I will NEVER tire of this miracle. I am ALREADY tired of the weeds. (Kelsey - yes. You MAY come help me weed - you sweet, crazy girl).

:: And thank you's from little boys to the ones who love them so well.

Yes. The school year is complete, but I still must teach my children. Life is so much more than academics. This summer may we together, learn simply, joyfully, and more completely this:

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Phil. 4:8).


"Focusing on what is beautiful, good, true – isn’t this the truest education?
Perspective can always adopt gratitude - and gratitude always parents joy."
~ Ann Voskamp

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I think I missed a call from you the other day, did I?! I am TERRIBLE at the phone these days...forgive me, my sweet friend...let's try again this week, 'k? and...as always...love your sweet posts, and cannot WAIT to see you all -- hopefully sometime that first week of July. (you too, Rach!)

Shay said...

I keep looking for summer camps for Ethan to attend in a few years, but really, I think I'll just ship him to your house. love love love all the pics, sigh :)