Grace Poured Out

"The evening meal was being served...He got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him...

When He was finished washing their feet, He put on His clothes and returned to His place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" He asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set an example that you should do as I have done for you."

~ John 13:2,4,12-15 NIV ~



There was no "Don't make me look bad while I'm away."
There weren't any last minute rules and reminders.
There were no stern warnings about making sure they didn't mess up.
There were no commands to "tow the line."
No hurried agenda to force a few last minute instructions at them.

Like I would do to my kids if I knew I was going to be leaving them with someone for a few days...

In Jesus' final hours, there was, instead - grace poured out in abundance.
A towel wrapped around a waist and knees bent in service.
For His children.
His forsakers.
He takes their feet and their filth, and He washes them.
He poured grace and blessing all over them.

May I not only DO thanks and COUNT thanks.
May I learn to give the thanks away.
I am full and I am blessed.
And I have been blessed so that I might BE a blessing.
In expressing gratitude for all of the blessings freely given to me, may I finish my days in becoming the blessing to those around me.

My biggest complaint?
My greatest stuggle?
"I don't have the time."

I have time. What is time for if not to bless?

And a life contemplating my blessings fulfills itself in ACTING the love of Christ.
God calls me to give thanks.
But more so - to give the thanks away...so that my life will become the very blessings that I have received.

Grace poured out...splashing all over every one with whom I come into contact.
So that my thanks-giving literally becomes my thanks-living...

No comments: