Out of the Loop!

Well, in our tenure here as PBU students, I have managed to successfully embarass myself quite royally with some pretty important staff members on campus. One day a few weeks ago, Kaden and I were hanging outside while Jesse napped, and I had our door propped open so I could hear him if he cried. All Penndel residents have been instructed to never leave our doors propped open for long periods of time because there is a rather shady apartment complex next door to ours. While we were playing on the sidewalk, a man came over and asked if I was the one who had opened the door and asked if I planned on keeping it open. When I told him why I had it opened and that I intended to stay right on the front sidewalk within hearing distance, he declared it to be fine but then continued to warn me of the dangers and the importance of being safe. I expressed my appreciation for his concern and then innocently asked if he lived around here or if he worked here. He kind of gave me a half smile and responded: "Um, yes. I'm the head of security." Oh goodness. That means he's also the guy who used to work for the FBI! I apologized and said that I don't really know much staff as I'm not in the typical undergrad program with most students. He asked who I was and I told him my name and then said: "My husband is Kevin. He's in the grad program here." To which this nice man nodded and slowly smiled: "Oh yes.....I know Kevin." Immediately I remember Kev's little hunting escapade on campus last year where all of security was notified. I could feel myself blushing and I nervously laughed: "I'm sure you do!" We both just smiled, and he walked away. Brother!

Then, just yesterday, I was at a soccer game and some friends of ours walked over with this man. They were visiting for awhile beside me, and at one point he looked at me and said hello. Charlotte always teases me for never introducing her to people that are with me, so I wanted to get her back. I held out my hand to this "stranger" and said: "Hi. I'm Amy. I'll introduce myself because Charlotte never introduces me to her friends." Charlotte looked mortified, but the man just graciously smiled and said: "Hello. I'm Todd Williams." Okay....for those of you who are not from here - Todd Williams in the president of our school! He's kind of "the man." Not only did I already make myself look like an idiot but not knowing who he is, but I just kept on digging a hole for myself and continued with: "Oh man. I'm sorry - I'm kind of out of the loop around here. Are you our new principal?" Everyone died laughing and Charlotte said, "Um, Amy - at colleges we call them "Presidents," not "Principals!" Good grief.

So Kev is known around these parts for being the illegal hunter who got the Penndel police and the PBU security involved last fall. Now I'm the blond ditz who acts like the fruit loop in front of some of the top dogs around here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, dearest, not to embarrass you more, but Todd Williams has also been our provost for awhile(I think that means he was in charge of supervising academics or something?).

I love the FBI security guy, btw. :)

And I love you guys, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

You should really look at your mail...even I could pick Todd Williams out in a crowd! :-) Of course, I have heard him speak a couple times! And, just to make you feel a bit better, I didn't know his name was Todd...I just hear him called Dr. Williams!

Anonymous said...

oops...I meant to say thanks for the laugh! Kelsey and I had fun reading this blog!

Anonymous said...

Tell Kevin that Chad will take him hunting if he comes to Maine in the next month. We have a lot of acerage and no campus cops.