Vapor.

We went to a funeral yesterday for a father of some dear friends of ours. He was young - early fifties, and he left behind two daughters - brand new Mama's with another baby on the way for each of them.

His wife and girls wanted his Memorial Service to be a celebration of his life, and they each wrote letters describing their relationship that they had with him. The recurring theme throughout the entire memorial service, and really the major take away for me, was that amidst all of the questions left behind from his passing, there was one thing that was for certain - this man loved his family well.

Over and over again, we heard people give testimony to the fact that two of his greatest passions in life were his wife and his girls. He loved them well, and they honored him in their testimonies.

"One of his greatest passions was to my father."
"Every night he tucked me into bed, and every night he prayed over me without fail."
"He knew how many Saturdays we had left before we left for college. He didn't waste a one of them."
"He always told me how proud he was of me. He always made time to talk."

As far as doing a parenting job well, that's a success story in my book.
May those words be said of me at my Memorial Service some day.
May my boys know that raising them is one of my greatest honors - one of my deepest passions.

I was reminded yesterday to tell them daily just how proud I am of them - just how deeply I love them. I was reminded again - to slow and savor this fleeting time that I have with each of them...to take the time, to stop and listen, and to really see them.

And I was reminded again of the brevity of this fleeting gift of life.
May I live it well, may I hold things loosely, and when all is said and done, might my mothering be a success story, as well.

* * * * * *
2163. Being reminded of what's important. Again.
2164. Knowing that this is not the end of the story.
2165. Friendships weathering the storms of life.
2166. Tender husband love toward grieving daughters.
2167. Jeremiah 29:11 - Good plans for hope and a future - even when we can't see.
2168. Loosening my grasp just a tiny bit more - this vapor of life.
2169. Squeezing harder, loving deeper, giving more.
2170. Friends to love on my boys while we were away.

No comments: