Cooking with the Kidlets.

Well, aside from the the fudge, which I, ahem, saved all for myself...

The brunt of our Christmas gift giving this season has been made up of various and sundry homemade foodies that the kids can completely be a part of. We have some tried and true recipes that we make only once a year - but every single Christmas season, so this makes them really special.

And then, we always have these "Christmas negotiations," as well...

Mom always helps me make these chocolatey minty shortbread cookies (and she usually gives me the entire batch). It's tradition; she loves me that much. And in return, I always make my homemade peppermint patties and then split the batch between her and my neighbor Lew. I love her just the same...but my batch makes more...so I share with sweet Lew.

Lew loves my peppermint patties.
He says: "There's just one problem, De-ah. There wasn't enough! Hee-hee!"


Lots of granola and bread is going out to neighbors and friends.
Easy. Inexpensive. Wholesome. And it's completely consumable.

And this year, we tried something new for all of the littles in our lives: homemade marshmallows.
These three jars belong to my hoolies...notice they are almost gone.
They are super easy and super fun for the kidlets.

And our newest little taste treat that we tried out today, was these little candy cane cookies.

Supposedly very kid friendly and easy for them to help out with.

Er...not so much.

After they each made about three each, they were off and running with a: "Tell us when they're done, Mama!"
Ah well...

You win some, you lose some.
But, they all taste the same!

What's cooking in your kitchen?

* * * * *
2187. Cooking in my kitchen - with all my loves - Dad, Mom, and my boys.
2188. Fudge memories with Dad.
2189. Grammy making cookie memories with the boys.
2190. Giving gifts - just because!
2191. Boys learning the joy of giving.
2192. Ransom's first year of really being involved in the festivities.
2193. Giving joy. Receiving joy. Sharing love.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Aw, they turned out great Amy! I often say about homemade things, 'well they don't look like they were made in China...cause they weren't.' ;) Wish I lived closer to be able to receive some of those yummy gifts from you and your sweet boys. ;) Oh, and to be able to give you some too! Have an amazing Christmas with your sweet family! Love you!

Kristi said...

Ohh -- Mom used to make those candy cane cookies!! Yum!!! jonah would ADORE the home-made marshmallows...I blame my mother for his love of marshmellows...little junkfood junkie, that kid!!! I think we'll be chatting one of these days. i keep thinking of it before this babe arrives, but...it doesn't seem to be happening. geesh. love ya. Merry Christmas, dear friend!