Granola!

So, as we continue on our crazy journey of good health and saving Kev's gallbladder, we are slowly changing our habits and our lifestyle when it comes to our food choices. Very difficult during these Holidays, might I add. However, I am very proud of my Kevy, and his willpower. To date, he has lost about twenty-five pounds and he is keeping his pain at bay. We shall see if, in the end, we are the ultimate winners. There still may be surgery some day, but for now, we are avoiding the knife.

Anyhoo...

On my quest for different foodie options and substitutions, I am also (always and forever) on the quest for food/meals/snacks etc. that are not only healthy but are also filling and holds my boys' hunger at bay for at least a couple of hours. Two hours. That's all I ask, before I hear the rumblings of starvation and wasting away to nothingness because of the empty tummies. Seriously, I could have a full time job living in my kitchen making food for these guys.

This granola recipe has become my weekly salvation for keeping hunger at bay. It's a sort of "everything but the kitchen sink" recipe - a "dump whatever you feel like into the mix" kind of recipe - and it meets all of my criteria:

~ Healthy.
~ Filling.
~ Versatile - as in, good for meals and/or snacks.
~ And I almost always have these ingredients on hand.

Because I love it so much, I shall share it with the world. Feel free to go to town and adapt to your little heart's content. This is how I make it...

First, mix in a large bowl, the following dry ingredients:
7 cups old fashioned rolled oats.
1 cup whole wheat flour (I use gluten-free Pamela's flour).
1 cup raisins.
1-2 cups walnuts.
1-2 cups pecans.
1-2 cups slivered or sliced almonds.
1-2 cups sunflower seeds.
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds.
2 cups coconut.
1 tsp. sea salt.
1 tsp. cinnamon.

(This is what I almost always have on hand, so this is the base of how I always make it. It is also very delish with cranberries or dates, ground flax seed, oat bran - whatever. You get the picture).

In a pan on the stove, heat up 1 1/2 cups honey (or 1 cup honey and a half cup pure maple syrup) and 1/3 cup olive oil.

Bring to a boil.

Once it has boiled, take it off the heat and add a generous Tablespoon of pure vanilla along with a generous teaspoon or two (depending on how strong of the taste you prefer) of pure almond extract. Always use the pure...it's so much better.

Mix your wet and your dry together, and place on greased cookie sheets and 13x9 pans. Bake in your oven at 300 degrees stirring every twenty minutes.

And here's the deal:
If you like your granola more soft and ooey and chewy, add more honey and olive oil to the mix and bake it about 40 minutes - taking it out while it's still kind of moist.

If you like it to be separated and more crunchy - like my boys do, good for cereal or whatever - stir every twenty minutes, and bake it for about an hour. Take it out when it starts to turn a little brown.

Easy Sneezy - it seriously takes me as long to mix up as it does for my pot of coffee to brew, AND it's super delish.

Great with milk as a breakfast cereal, and super yummy over french vanilla yogurt with some fresh berries as a healthy dessert option. It doesn't really cut it in the dessert compartment for this chocolate loving girl, but you know. Beggars can't be choosers...

And I will attest to the fact that it holds my men over for at least two hours.
Okay, maybe an hour and a half...but that's saying something.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Mmmm -- sounds good! I'll give 'er a try sometime soon -- I love granola! And Jonah seems to be quite a fan these days, too -- i just bought a box from the store, but...its probably way more expensive than it is to make...so -- I'll try it!!

Miss ya, friend.

Angie said...

Yummmmm! Love granola too! We have started using coconut oil in alot of our baking, etc (even used it to condition my hai..it works! ;). Would be yummy in this too! (used it in my last couple batches). Congrats kevin! Keep posting your recipes! Xox