Some Randoms....

The boys are back, our prodigal cat has returned, Marmie has gone home...and the party's over. Back to tons of dirty, smoky camp clean-up, lawn mowing, chicken coop repairing, and if this blasted rain ever lets up, a little bit of gardening.

But, for three days we all played hard, and it was lovely. The boys came home filthy and absolutely exhausted, but totally happy and content with their tenting and fishing experience. They said it didn't rain too badly, and they could've cared less, anyway. They even brought back two trout and a salmon to share. Oh man - God's gift to the world, I tell you.

And Mom and I - well, we played like a couple of girls! We ate out a couple of times, we went thrift store/vintage funk shopping, we acted like idiots in public, we had movie marathons, we had dessert for supper, we slept together and talked way late into the night, we baked a little bit together, Ransom got spoiled rotten, and it was just SO. MUCH. FUN! We haven't played together like this - sans most of the littles - for this amount of time, for years.

Rancey Pants, staying up late and sharing popcorn with Grammy.

Ransom showing Grammy the "chickie birdies." They are staying caged because they have been naughty and went visiting our little old lady neighbor who was very unimpressed with them on her doorstep. For the sake of neighborly relations, my darlings are now prisoners in their own home. Tragic, I say.

Itsy bitsy peas poking their noggins through the ground. A happy little sight.

First rhubard pickings. After which, we promptly went back into the house and whipped up the most glorious rhubarb/shortbread/meringue delight that is our absolute favorite rhubarb recipe in the world. I shall post the recipe some day this week when I have no other blog fodder. It is delish.

It's also quite helpful in repairing neighborly relations with said little old lady neighbor who hates my chickens.
Again. Tragic.

This summer's work project...with one of my ladies back in her days of freedom...perched atop. Sigh.

I'm sorry girls. For one glorious year, I lived my childhood dream in having chickens roam free on my property. But then you had to get all super daring on me and go on adventures through the woods over to Miss Margaret's. Tell me, what exactly does she have that I don't? Hmn?

They're just like people. The grass is always greener...

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Your poor girlies! Oh, the horror of it all! The disgrace! The injustice!
I guess with time, all hens will roam. My girls did many a summer afternoon last year. Hence the dog kennel being placed in our yard this spring. Free range is over-rated, anyhow...right? :o)