Mixing it Up

There should have been a playdate yesterday, and there should have been a shift of waittressing at night. Then, there should have been a work shift covered, and there should have been a hot date on the town.

But, things happened so that other things couldn't happen - and so yesterday ended up looking completely differently that it ever was intended to look.

And that was okay.

I'm learning to hold things loosely. I'm learning to loosen my white knuckled grip on my agenda and my tidy little days. Life just works out so much more nicely that way.

So - instead of my previously planned and structured day, I declared that rainy day to be a p.j. day. I let the big boys play all morning, rather than fight the losing battle of entertaining a still getting better baby who was rather clingy, and we just chilled all morning and took the day as it came.

The boys lived in their jammies and played legos and playmobile. I snuggled Ransom and read him books that I remember reading to Kaden seven years ago - and he loved them just as much as Kaden once did. After Rancey went down to nap, school took place in the afternoon - and most of our reading took place on our bed, snuggled under the blankets. There was a movie after school, a simple cozy supper, and all were tucked into bed by 6:00.

I like days like this once in awhile. For some reason, shaking up our rhythm a little bit helps me to slow down and savor a little bit better. Reading to Ransom those books that I read every single day to Kaden made me so nostalgic. Where did those seven years go? And the big boys thought it was so much fun to do school on Mommy and Daddy's bed - in their p.j.s, no less!

It was the simple things of yesterday that made it so very good.

And in place of the hot date OUT, there was Chinese takeout and American Idol in our p.j.'s by the fire - IN.

It's all good.

*******

819. Kaden & Jesse finding each other hilarious!
820. Ransom keeping his breakfast inside.
829. Rainy days for being inside - books & p.j.'s
832. Sleepy bedheads smiling in the morning
833. A hungry baby after a week of sickness
835. Reading "Snuggle Puppy" for third boy in a row
839. No naps - early bedtimes - at home dates with my hubby
843. Supper cooking, hungry boys eagerly waiting
846. Cozy bedtimes, sleepy boys
851. Mama's herb bread - Kaden's favorite
852. Brothers who care
853. Sacred holiness amidst chaotic messes.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Aw, I hope Sir Rancey Pants feels better soon. But who doesn't love jammie-days?! Sounds like a calm relaxing day...