The Cat Came Back....

We have this cat that all the boys got me for my birhday last year. She's an indoor kitty, because we live on a busy road, but she has a bit of a taste for the great outdoors. Usually, about once every three or four months she'll go for a great escape if one of us leaves the door open, and we won't see hide nor hair of her for a couple of days. I never leave her any food out, because that's the only draw for her to return to us. When she's hungry enough, she'll come home.

Anyway, a little over a week ago, she gave us the slip again. We thought for sure this time she was a goner because it's been pouring rain for days, we know that we have foxes campusing our area, and I saw bloody footprints in our yard.

Before the boys left for their camping trip, I asked Kaden how devastated he would be if she never returned. He was quiet for a couple of minutes and then said pretty softly: "Well....pretty devastated, I guess."

Oh. Break my heart.

So.... while the boys have been off on their grand adventure, Kev gave me permission to go on a covert operation with Mom. Our mission was to find not one, but two baby kittens to get the boys to surprise them for their birthdays.

For the past two days, we have been canvasing the neighborhood pet stores and animal shelter scoping out all of the possibilities. Nothing really caught my eye, and I didn't want to do anything rash - even though Mom was trying to convince me to get every other cat that she saw.

(Dad hates cats, and they have three. I can see how it will all go down if he dies before she does. She'll be one of those crazy cat ladies that has about a hundred kitties living with her. She was in tears the whole time we were at the shelter....)

Anyway, lo and behold, last night who should coming running onto our porch and meow at our door, but our sweet feral kitty cat, Risso. She's as thin as a rail, she has a wounded paw, she has a faint odor of skunk, and she was covered in ticks....but she's home.

And this is how she camped out for the remainder of the evening.
Devastation averted.
Sweet bliss.

******
1093. Prodigal kitty returns home safe and sound.
1094. Snuggles and purrs - sweet sounds of contentment.
1095. Three little boys relieved and thrilled - devastation averted.

5 comments:

Chantelle said...

Oooooooh, sweet girl!! I'm so glad she came home. (Hope you gave her a good tick treatment for those smaller ones you can't see! We do that every time our Miracle sneaks out.) So happy for you guys. :)

Chantelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsey said...

Did she by any chance escape when I babysat for Rancey....? Cause I didn't see her all night and I didn't think she had gone back downstairs...

Rachael said...

Aw, your poor little fellas! I'm so glad she decided to come back home! Could have been traumatic. And you know we understand traumatic around here with all the little critters we have! :o)

Anonymous said...

Awww, so glad that she returned! Poor kitty. Our cat has tried to escape a few times, but never really has gotten far. I am thankful, because she's kinda a pansy and I don't know if she'd survive out there!