To the Gift-Giver

Elisabeth Elliott once said: "Wherever you are, be ALL there."

Be in the moment. Truly see. Be attentive; aware.
Because this is where God is. In the present. I AM.

You want to know a verse that haunts me?

"We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in NOTHING." ~ Psalm 39:6

I am a rusher. I am a get-er-doner. But haste makes waste. And hurry empties the soul. Hurry leads to regrets. And hurry forgets to say "Thank you." Thank you for today. Thank you for my life. Thank you for my gifts daily - for my life full to overflowing.

Albert Schweitzer said: "The greatest thing is to give thanks for everything. He who has learned this knows what it means to live...He has penetrated the whole mystery of life: giving thanks for everything."

This lady here? This mother of six and wife of a Farmer? This lady who is, I am sure, a million times more busy than I. She has discovered the secret. And Paul learned it too...." I have LEARNED how to be content with whatever I have....." (Phil. 4:11-12)

But learning requires practice. And practice needs discipline. Eyes need to be reminded to stay open and really see.

And so the list began...

My naming of my gifts....

And I don't distain the small.
Isn't life, after all, made of millions of small moments?
Moments of seeming mundane?
But if I miss the moments....I miss the whole.
I miss LIFE.

(378). Wind howling outside; cozy and warm inside.

(177). Firewood stacked high

(321). Old wooden crates holding home's treasures

(375). Homemade bread made by Kaden.

(377). Cheerios EVERYWHERE - evidence of sweet babies.

28. Coffee with Lew.
38. School around our kitchen table.
72. The smell of summer strawberries.
115. Mail in the mailbox.
135. Sincere thank-you's after supper.
145. Wind in the trees while we sleep.
158. Happy childhood memories.
185. Still wet baby curls.
197. Tired Daddies sprawled in play.
249. Sisters-of-my-Heart.
283. Salamanders hiding under rocks.


A list of randoms. Perhaps.
Our life in a list. I guess.
But MORE than that - it's a slowing down.
It's an intentional thank you to the ONE.

"To name a thing is to bless God for it and in it." ~ Alexander Schmemann

"He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me...." ~ Psalm 50:23

For these 1,000 gifts (and more) I honor you, Jesus - the Giver of ALL.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, how I love that list. I'm totally stealing the idea and beginning my own today...good for slowing and savoring; and good for practicing thanksgiving and contentment. Thanks for this post, Amy...I needed it! Love you...

Kristi said...

I love that, too, Ame. I did that before, and somehow lost the book...I have several empty journals laying around, though - i might steal your idea, too. Hope you're enjoying your snowy day today...

Angie said...

love this amy! exact thoughts that have been churning in my heart lately. and i read another wonderful blog, by another wonderful lady, who had an amazing post today too...here's her website if you ever wanna check her out: www.kellehampton.com. if you do check her out, be sure to read her story of her youngest daughter, nella's birth story. unbelievable. let me know what you think! xoxo

rachael a said...

my favorite post. ever. :)