Handling Disappointments

I was really proud of my little boy today.

Since he just turned four, he is now able to go to "Junior Church," and this is something that he has been excited about doing for quite awhile now. The kids always get a little snack and then they have a lesson time of their own. Usually he's a little shy at first about starting new things with lots of kids, but today he just walked right into class like a big boy.

He was the last kid getting in there, because he had to wait for me to get done singing, and there were more children in there today than usual. So we just found him an extra chair, the kids all made room for him, and he sat down eagerly anticipating his fun little snack. Well, the teacher had a really special treat today. The only problem was, there wasn't enough to go around. All of the other children were sitting around this table all together dipping their fun little lollipop treats into the sugar candy and licking them off, while Kaden just sat there and watched them. When the teacher realized that there wasn't enough to go around she quickly gave Kaden a mini box of raisins and told him that "they were just as good (and sweet too!)" WHAAT?!!

In the grand scheme of life, this is so not a big deal. And really - I would prefer my child to be eating a snack like goldfish or raisins or even crackers, anyway. But, when every other kid in the room is getting a really fun treat, it totally just broke my heart that he was sitting there eating raisins. Again - I know it's not a big deal, but it made me so sad. And he was so big and brave. He looked at me and all he said was: "I would like a snack like they're having." So, I knelt down beside him and just explained that there wasn't enough to go around today. I could have used this as a perfect teaching time about "how the last shall be first" or how "someone had to be the one to not get the lollipop, and it's nice for him to be the big boy," but I just didn't have the heart. He nodded that he understood, and he quietly picked away at his snack while I walked back to the service with my tail between my legs. Disappointments are good and necessary to learn about - I know this. He will have his fair share of them thanks to this mean world. But as his Mommy, how I wish I could shelter him from unnecessary hurts. My heart just felt so sad for him and so proud that he was trying to be so big and brave.

On the way home both Kev and I talked to him about how proud we were that even though he was really disappointed and even kind of sad that he didn't get a fun treat, he didn't make a scene, he didn't act out, and he wasn't mean to the other kids. He really did act like a big boy and he didn't let that disappointment get in the way of having a really fun time at Junior Church, either.

Needless to say, we took a wee bit of a detour on the way home and bought someone a very VERY special ice cream treat to have all for himself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel really bad for him too. Poor guy. But you're right, good lesson.
Your post made me want to cry though. Little emotional today I guess. :)
~Shannon
www.watchthesky.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Amy---can I have him? He is the sweetest little boy! I can think of a few adults that could take a lesson from him. Miss you guys!

Esther said...

He's so sweet! I hope that our baby will be just as sweet and kind as Kaden. Anyway, I am SO glad you bought him a treat on the way home.