My Oldest.....

I have been so thankful for our little Kaden lately. He has such a tender heart and a really sensitive conscience. There have been several times this past week where he has come to me and confessed things that I never would have found out about - yet he still wanted me to know. The other day I was babysitting a friend's little boy, and I set out some grapes on the edge of the table that were cut in half. I told Kaden that he could have more whole ones if he wanted, but the cut up ones were for Reid.

I went into the living room to feed Jesse and Kaden walked over to me with this sheepish smile on his face. I could tell something was up, so I just asked him if he was being a good boy or if he had done something naughty. He said, "I'm being a good boy, Mommy." So, I simply smiled at him and replied, "Okay Honey, I believe you." He looked at me for a split second and then his face got really sad and he confessed, "I just ate one of Reid's grapes."

So precious. He didn't have to say anything and I would never have known. And really - it was only a grape. But then again, it's so much more. It's about obedience and honesty and integrity - even at a really young age. And it's about seeking to bless Jesus and Mommy and Daddy. Kaden is not perfect by any means, but we are really starting to see more and more the older that he gets the desire to be truthful and a really tender heart and sensitive spirit. I pray this stays with him the older he gets, and I pray that he always wants to make Jesus happy - even when Mommy and Daddy aren't looking - FOREVER!

Truth be told, Jesse will most likely want to follow Kaden's lead far more than he'll ever want to follow ours. In all seriousness, Kaden has a pretty big burden of responsibility on his shoulders in being the "big brother" to however many siblings come down the pike. I want him to understand this now - while he's still only three - and realize that his siblings will be watching him and will be wanting to act just like him. I don't expect perfection. I never will. For now, I'm just loving these moments of sweetness that make me so proud, and I'm praying that he'll always stay tender.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So neat, Ame. I've been thinking about these things lately too, and the huge responsibility of shepherding that is ours as parents and especially mommies. Just picked up Shepherding a Child's Heart again--so good. We are now spanking Natalie and so far going well. It is quite sobering though to see how strong and how present early-on the sin nature is!

Unknown said...

an addendum...sounds like a worthy future husband for my girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Awww, Amy/Kaden-- way to make me cry on a school day. :) Love you guys!