Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

I love that I have so many friends who are in the same stage of child-rearing life that I am in! Even those sans children are dealing with discipline and training issues with pets - (Esther and Jess - it's pretty close! :0) Anyway, just in the past couple of days I've talked with five friends who's children range in age from Jesse at three months to a five year old. Discussing parenting issues always helps to put things in perspective for me. First of all, it's always encouraging to know that nobody has a perfect child! But, it's also good to remind each other that even though short naps, biting, refusing to eat veggies, waking up multiple times at night, and the like are all frustrating and disconcerting, they really are such small problems to be dealing with when you think of some of the monumental things other parents are going through.

I'm so thankful that our family loves each other - that there is no one else we'd rather spend time with than each other, that our two boys are healthy, that Kaden LOVES being a big brother, that Jesse adores Kaden, and that I don't have to wonder if Kev loves me or if he'll ever leave me. There will come a day when we'll be dealing with much bigger issues with our boys - girls, bullies, peer pressure, etc., with our families - aging parents, sickness, death etc., and with other stressors that life will hand us..........and I will LONG for the day when all I really worried about was if Jesse was too chunky and if he would ever take a long nap for me!

Right now, I truly am living my dream, and I want to be constantly reminded of that. Being a wife and mother is what I have ALWAYS wanted, and now I'm getting to do it every day. These days will fly by all too soon, and I need to SAVOR these little gifts that we have been given in our sons.

Does it matter that Jesse is the size of an eight month old, that he never poops, and that he takes wretched naps for me?!!! Does it matter that Kaden sucks his thumb 24/7 and that he still has wet pull-ups every morning? Does it matter if I let my floors get so dirty sometimes that our feet turn black when we walk around in our bare feet? Sure!! :0)

But, in the grand scheme of life......nah - not that much!

And, p.s. - for those of you coming over tomorrow - I was able to scrub my floors today. All is well in the world. :0)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your perspective! I have been feeling stressed with the little irritations in my life, so I got a book from the church library that I thought might be helpful. The lady writing the book had four sons. One was killed in Viet Nam, one was killed by a drunk driver, and she found out the third was a homosexual and he left their family (they didn't know where he was) for a while. I guess my problems aren't so big, afterall! Thanks for the reminder!

Sarah said...

I don't mind at all that you read my blog! I actually feel quite special and I'm glad that you've come out of the closet about it :) And guess what? I read yours too!