Vacation.

We are full swing into summer vacation mode in these here parts, and I am loving it. I think the fact that I have my boys around me twenty-four seven makes for an easier transition into "summer mode" for this Mama than for others, maybe. I honestly don't know what I'm talking about, because I have nothing else to compare our lives to - I just know that I don't have a hugely dramatic shift in my days from my kids being gone all day to them now being back home again. The only shift that I have is the beautifully simple fact that our mornings have now shifted way down into the low gear of sweet simplicity. P.j.'s and coffee at the computer...right this very instant, in fact. Early, early morning walks and bike rides. Cribbage over breakfast. No watching the clock to get at those lessons. Freedom to putter at my heart's content. And being perfectly fine with being outside and playing all the live long day. Basically, the Mama is on summer vacation! And THIS week, we are very busy doing very important things like playing with Daddy because we missed him so much and prepping for our annual long weekend of camping for the two big boys' birthdays! And per our tradition, friends from near and far will hopefully make their way over to our campsites for a little pop in visit, some camp coffee, some sharing of their babies, and some footloose and fancy free time for the kidlets to run wild and free. Also, per our tradition, I am fully expecting it to rain torrentially -- even though the forecast is looking somewhat lovely. We shall see. I am not holding my breath. Amy, camping, and rain always seem to go hand in hand. Joy unspeakable. But, in the meantime, we shall just continue to be in summer mode. Starting with my two biggest boys being plastered in poison ivy, a snake bite for Jesse, hunts for a ginormous turtle that Daddy saw on the road, baby chickies growing, garden planting and weeding, bonfires at night, lunches on the back porch, and the always changing aquarium filled with salamanders, frogs, taddies, and treasures! "Summer afternoon. To me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~ Dame Edith Wharton.

No comments: