Summer Goals.

The nature of the jobs/ministry that we have been doing over these past several years, involves one or both of us traveling and being away from home more often than some families, maybe. And it's good. It works for us. We enjoy traveling, it's why we chose homeschooling, it's one of the reasons why we're religious about taking a family day each week, and we have grandparents close by to help out when one of us (meaning me) single parents the solo missions.
I think that's why I love HOME so much and the simplicity of our rhythm and routine once we get settled back into some semblance of "normal" once again. And now that school is out for us for a few months, there's an even newer and different rhythm in our summer routine. And I love that too.
Summer in Maine is fleeting. There have been some summers (especially when the weather did not cooperate), where you blink, and somehow it's over. I'm not cool with that... So, I want to savor my summer as much as possible. We always go for a long weekend camping trip to celebrate the two biggest boys' birthdays. (So far, we are 2 for 2 in the weather being a torrential downpour for most of the weekend. I'm shooting for sunshine this time. Fingers crossed). We always go away as a family for a week to my Father-in-Law's sweet little cabin on an island. Kev and I sneak away for a night or so on our Anniversary, and on our family day's we are always gallavanting somewhere - which I absolutely love. But, I want to milk the days of the week for all they are worth, too. Because our summer is so stinkin' short, I want to "be aware" during the Monday through Friday as well - and not just the weekends and the special events. So, I have a few summer vacation goals. Nothing lofty, mind you. Super super simple things, actually. But, here are a few of them, starting with dinners on the deck as much as possible. A few extra steps and a little bugspray is all it takes. And when this happens, the meal is often less rushed, more savored, and whatever is being served feels more special. It's all psychological, but it works. For us, anyway.
Living and running and playing outside as much as possible, as well. We really do this already, I just want to cut t.v. time waaaay back - maybe even off - for the summertime. (She writes...while the boys are watching cartoons in the background waiting for Mama to serve them breakfast. Just keeping it real).
More walks - every day, if possible. And for me that involves focusing less on the exercise and more on the rabbit trails and treasures found and breaks for snacks and tree climbing...and carting home in the backseat of the stroller the days' new pet.
More fires outside and chances to stay up late.
And more just "being" ~ watching babies grow, puttering in the gardens, riding bikes in the the dooryard, smoothies for lunch, no rigid schedules, slowing and seeing. Good, yes?
And inside goals... I have several books that I want to read to the kids this summer. I love our morning schooltime routine. My kids have to have some semblance of structure in their lives, else they run like hooligans, and they love to be read to, so at some point each day, I still want to keep a reading time. Any good book suggestions? At breakfast time, we are reading through "The Jesus Storybook Bible." I can't say enough good about this children's Bible. It is my ultimate fave. The way it tells the Story of Jesus beneath all the other stories and shows how He is the missing piece of the puzzle that fits all of the other stories together is perfect and beautiful and done like no other book I have seen. I also have a set of "Magic Schoolbus" chapter books that I would like to read through, I want to read through the Little House on the Prairie books again, and my sister-in-law gave me a Christian Heritage book series that her kids loved and also used as their History curriculum. We shall see how many we wade through, but it's good to have goals, right?
Less rushing. I am a get-er-doner with minimal patience. Not the greatest parental traits to have on my resume. I am working on slowing and savoring. It does not come naturally to me, and it's one of the reasons why I started listing my Joy Journey ~ to help me see. I read somewhere that if you would really like to maintain some semblance of sanity in your life while you still have young children under your roof (maybe it was worded a little more classy than that, but regardless...)you should always schedule in an extra half hour to whatever task you are trying to complete, because the littles in our lives are very good at doing the very things that we are not so hot at doing, and that is stopping to smell the roses...every. last. one. of them!
More cooking in the kitchen with the littles. And gifting the goodies to our neighbors. And finding healthy snacks and meals and juicing recipes for Kevy's belly.
And spending lots of time in the dirt - planting and picking and bringing inside to bake and can and cook and eat. Studies show that the more time you spend in the dirt, the healthier you tend to be. Tis true. In that case, my boys should never be sick a day in their lives... So, there you have it. A few summer goals for me and my brood. Any of you have a few of your own to share?

3 comments:

Shandy said...

Is there a strawberry field open already?

Kevin and Amy said...

No. I just wanted to use my fresh rhubard, so I used grocery store berries. My rhubarb goes by before the berries come...

shandy said...

Aah yes, I froze some rhubarb for my strawberry rhubarb jam and I used store berries for my pie.