Tis the Season.

It's that time of year again where every weekend you can find people's lawns cluttered with tables and tarps filled to overflowing with their household wares that they are looking to hawk for a price. Whilst I surely am NOT a shopper and hate all forms of mall and department store shopping, there is a certain lure to yard saling that draws me in like a moth to a flame. I think it's the thrill of the unknown and the wonder of possibly finding a most amazing treasure - and only for $3.00 at that, once I've dickered them down to a price that we both find acceptable. I admit to getting a certain thrill with this kind of shopping. Kevin was raised in the fine art of yardsaling and dickering, so at this stage of the game, he is a well honed machine. As a little boy, his mother gave him 50 cents for the day, and he came home with some MEGA-loot. Pretty impressive, atually. This small grasshopper still has much to learn... So, anyway, since just about every weekend, we come home with some sort of treasure from some sort of yard sale, somewhere (almost our entire house is outfitted with these sorts of finds), I have to compensate on the other end by getting rid of stuff, as well. Garbage in, garbage out so they say... So, yesterday, my wee hoolies and I had ourselves a mega-sale. We decimated their bedroom, and I told them that whatever they sold, they could keep the moolah for their own little selves. I have one son who is a bit of a hoarder and another who would get rid of the birthday gift that he was given today, so that was a bit interesting to negotiate. But, my sales pitch lit a fire underneath them, and from that one little bedroom, we managed to fill one trashbag full of trash, and two others full of toys, so I was as happy as a clam. Win-win for everyone! They made their own pricetags (see picture above. hmn.), they each had their own little spot on the lawn, and they had a side business of selling some sweet tea, to boot. I was able to get rid of some of my cra....treasures, as well. So, all in all, it was a good day of business. And now we are set for the rest of the summer and all of the little "treasures" that will surely make their way into our house -- all for the love of yardsaling! One of the simple joys of summer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So fun! I'm actually loving this summer baby thing because I'm picking up the few things I need at yardsales for SO cheap! And this year Ella discovered the joys...brought her own little change purse and picked up some new cra...treasures :)
Sarah

Rachael said...

Love it!!! My girls somehow manage to talk us into having one every year because we accumulate so much cra....treasure. Trying to discourage it from happening this year! :-)

Anonymous said...

That's not an ironing board in the back is it? Just kidding! Rachel

Kevin and Amy said...

Nope. It surely ISN'T an ironing board. I don't believe in ironing, remember? :0)