Jam Fest.

 Earlier this week, when the sun had just barely started to rise, and while the very largest and the very smallest ones in our family were still sleeping - the two biggest boys and I snuck out of the house for a little early morning summer adventure.
 For the past two summers, for whatever reasons, I have not made fresh strawberry jam - and at the end of last summer, I vowed to myself that another season would not go by without me making a stash to last throughout the year for our little family.

Because summer isn't summer without freshy fresh strawberry jam....and pies....and shortcake...and stained fingers and lips and all sundry articles of clothing!
 Last year, we picked daily all throughout the season and sold the berries at the end of our driveway for a little supplemental income and for a little side business for the boys.  This year my "get up and go" for that sort of thing "got up and went" somewhere...and all I wanted was to pick for myself and my own little family.

So that's what me and my boys did.
 And I tell you what ~ there is nothing like being out in the berry fields early early in the morning, and smelling that beautiful smell, and seeing that beautiful fruit pile up and over in your containers. 

I love it.
That's summer for me.
Seriously ~ is that none one of the most beautiful sights in all the world?


And we saw not one, not two, not three, but FOUR of these Mama Snappers laying their eggs in the fields!

 We loaded up our stash, we rewarded ourselves with Dunkin' Donuts, and then we headed home for the all day long job of stemming, and chopping, and jam making.  We made strawberry freezer jam, cooked strawberry jam, and cooked strawberry rhubarb.

My shelves are filling up once again, and I am one happy Mama.
 Hmn.  Methinks some Christmas gifts are in the works, as well?
I'm thinking the theme: "Tea, a drink with jam and bread...."
That, my friends, is happiness.
Pure, unadulterated happiness.

No comments: