My Roots...

We kicked it up home to the County for a quick overnight last night. It was a whirlwind visit, but lovely nonetheless. Whenever we go up home, I like to bring out my "hick" in full swagger. Lots of firepit fires, tons of filth and smelling like smoke, many hotdogs and marshmallows roasted outside, and a whole lotta' wide open spaces.

Our main purpose in going was for Kev to do some old fashioned business dealings with a cuz up home. A tradesies of sorts. You know - "Hey, I've got an Old Town canoe and a nice gun. Ya wanna' trade for your tin boat with a motor?" That sort of thing. We have grown too large - and too crazy - for our canoe. That chapter of our lives - for a season - is over. But the season for an old Cadillac tin boat that is a bit more steady? Oh Baby -- that's the season we're in right now. Let the good times roll!

So, while Dad and Kev puttered and worked around the yard all day on my Grampy's old boat... Mom, the boys, and I -- well, we played! Just a few hours and just one overnight, but - oh the little love tanks are filled. And our visits up home are (always) further affirmation for Kev and I that our decision to move closer to the grandparents was indeed very wise.

There's just something about the role that the Grandparents play in my children's lives -- and still in my own, that is irreplaceable. Our grandparents played hugely pivotal roles in our lives growing up, and we want our parents to do the same with our children. It's priceless, really.

685. My father - gentle and strong.
686. Full of wisdom, simple faith.
687. Faithful provider, protector, and friend.
688. Hands-on Grampy, silly and fun.
693. His box of old junk wood.
694. Turned into wooden boat treasures.
705. Working alongside Kevin all day.
706. Tired at day's end - still takes Kaden fishing.

693. Mother mine - mother of two boys herself, knows well the boy's world.
697. Floating boats in the stream all morning - attentive Grammy always watching.
699. Always my mother - worrying, helping.
700. Getting the baby so I could sleep in.
701. Sending me home with boxes of groceries to feed my family.
702. Watching her wave until we drove out of sight.
703. Calls to make sure we arrived home safely.
704. Relationship morphing to that of dear friend.

"These are for you - gifts - these are for you - grace - these are for you - God, so count the way He loves, a thousand, more, never stop....and you can slow and you can trust, and you can receive each moment as grace." ~ One Thousand Gifts

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Aw, I love it! And you already know how in love with your parents I am...
:-) We must plan an over-nighter with kiddos!