Happiness Is...

"Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling." ~ Margaret Lee Runbeck ~

Happiness is:

:: George. Our Pennsylvania deer - and a gift to Kev that hunting season five years ago. We had just moved to the city, and ironically this is the largest buck that Kev has ever shot. George is a good reminder of God's gifts, and grace, and provision. And sense of humor.

Happiness is also not having George hanging over either our bed or our fireplace. I'm as hick as they come, but I do have my limitations.

:: Planting seeds in the sunshine with my boys. And being chill despite the massive amounts of dirt that is somehow not making it into the pots. And remaining calm when they can't remember if they put seeds in certain containers or not. And honestly not worrying if anything will ever grow. It's the process that's good. I can always go out and buy seedling starters.

:: The first day of a kajillion where I will park myself on our front lawn and watch the hoolies tromp and splash and go hunting for all manner of creepy crawlies, leeches, diving beetles, and mosquito larvae; having my coffee grow cold because of the lure that the water has on me; and watching the joy and excitement with each successive treasure that is caught and found.

Also, giving Jesse a crash lesson on proper etiquette when he dropped trou and peed on our front lawn directly in front of an oncoming pickup. The two girls in the truck had their heads thrown back and were laughing their heads off. Glad we could spread a little joy...

:: Yelling and screaming at our first "find" of the season - a good sized newt that we all thought was a leech at first! Naming him "Georgie" and setting up a temporary home for our first of MANY critter finds.

:: Worrying far less about the laundry than I ever have, and figuring if I can't beat 'em, I might as well join 'em. It's only a load of laundry, after all. Like a moth to a flame, little boys are lured to the mud and the puddles.

:: Morning p.j. piggy toes. Delicious and nibble worthy.

:: Keens and torn jeans. "You can take me out, but you can't dress me up." - Isn't that how that expression goes?

:: New life all around me. Evidence of growth and promise of Spring.

:: God's gifts. Abundant and free.

Well, I guess if you count the chicken feed, they're not really free. In fact, they're probably more expensive that what I'd buy in the store. However, they ARE abundant, and they DO make me happy - therefore, they fit nicely into this post!

:: The boys and their kitty - equal affection and impishness.

"Blessings keep our awareness of life's holy potential ever present. They awaken us to our lives...With each blessing uttered, we extend the boundaries of the sacred and ritualise our love of life." ~ Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts

1 comment:

rachael a said...

cute pics sweetie.
i miss you. i won't see you till i have another little! how crazy is THAT.
love you. love the one of the boys in the water. . that IS a huge leech!. . i mean newt. and love you in your ripped jeans.
you and i would both be so rocking punk/grunge if we weren't...well. . lots of reasons. haha.
but we would.