It's What You Make It

I have this slice of Heaven.
I like to call it HOME.
It holds three boys and one fine man,
and chickies freely roam.

The housework's never finished.
Messes are made ALL day.
But it is full of laughs and love
with kids who learn and play.

Some mud, our stream - the neighbor's pond...
A boy's "Adventureland."
It isn't much. The cost? It's free!
But oh! For them, it's grand.

They're pirates, hunters, army men -
Fierce warriors - unbending.
Tis the season for this girl
for laundry never ending!

The washing - it is never done.
I swear, it is perpetual.
The boys go out and fall in mud.
This has become their ritual!

These three, I can not keep them clean.
They're filth from head to toe.
There's dirt and mud from nose to chin.
But, Oh! I love them so!

It isn't always perfect.
The kids aren't always good.
They spat and fight
And make me NUTS
...don't listen as they should.

But we are FULL - We have SO much.
Compared to most, we're wealthy.
A family that's committed,
A home, food, clothes, we're healthy.

So, I choose joy with my four boys.
My gifts of life and love.
I thank my God - Giver of All
My Father from Above.

For this life, He's given me
The happiness with sorrow.
I'll live a life that's full today -
I'm promised no tomorrows.

I'll make mistakes, I'll fall, I'll fail.
I have regrets, for sure.
My fears and failures I remember.
They're always at my door.

But God is Healer - Life Sustainer,
Forgiveness, Full of Grace.
I see just how He handles me -
For my boys, I'll do the same.

Grace and love freely bestowed,
Forgiveness always given.
So our life here on Earth below
CAN be a slice of Heaven.


For LIFE is what you make it.
The good comes with the sorrow.
For me - I'll live JOY for today -
I might be gone tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Amy, I love your writing. Many times it is just what I needed to hear. Love it, such a blessing.

Shannie said...

Burt Dow! One of our favorite books. Best read with a strong Maine accent. :)
Love this Ame, thank you.