Marmie Reminders

"Empty Nest"

(Written by my Marmie the Fall I graduated from High School)

My house is growing emptier
As children leave the "nest" -
The days are getting quieter
The nights seem long, to rest.

I lie awake in bed at night,
And wonder how they are -
Not long ago, they slept here too
But now they're scattered far.

No "late night chats" - no "goodnight kiss"
Just quiet empty rooms
Bear witness to the changes here,
And add to Mother's gloom.

How fast the years have hurried by
since childhood days of play -
How is that they've grown and gone
And brought me to this day?

Sometimes I'd like to turn the clock
of time back just a bit -
To see their little faces smile
And hear their childish wit!

But I cannot - and life goes on
Though one day I shall see
Their image in THEIR children's eyes
Looking back at me.


You taught me well, Marmie.
I am learning.
I am savoring.
I had the very best teacher in you.
For this, I thank you...

3 comments:

rachael a said...

tears.

Rachael said...

Leaky eyes here as well

Kristi said...

well, that was a little sad, Ame...I love your pics...and your sweet Mom's poem...I love you.