Holy Ordinary

Is God interested only in the grand moments of Christian pomp and ministry achievement? Does He show up only when "truly great things" are taking place?

I think not.

Is God not here also amidst the mundane of life?
In the seemingly simple?

After all, most of life IS wholly ordinary.

But, might all of it REALLY be "holy" ordinary?

Does He not see - Does He not smile - at all of the beauty that can be found in the midst of the messy? All of the sacred that lives right in the very middle of the chaos?

I think He does.

In fact, I think that we bless Him when we count His blessings that He daily - moment by moment, really - gives to each one of us!

Life is not an emergency.

All of life is a gift.
And I will find the blessings. I will see the beauty.

Just as it blesses me to be thanked for gifts given - free though they may be - I will bless my Father for His gifts so freely given.

We can slow.
We can wake.
We can trust.
We can pay attention.

Genesis 12:2 - "I will bless you....and you will be a blessing."


********
708. First flower gift of spring given by Kaden & Jesse
733. Kids running wild and free All day long!
752. Memorizing my baby in the moment's he is still.
743. Running barefoot on the lawn.
750. Birds joining the peepers in the earliest morning.
751. Daddy and big boy fishing dates
753. First day of capris!
754. Weekends for slowing down
735. Lifelong friends walking our journey together
707. Midnight lattes with friends

4 comments:

Chantelle said...

I love the way Ann says that too - "Life is not an emergency." Beautiful quote.

Angie said...

I've read the book too. I would be really interested in your 'review' of the book as a whole. I really appreciate the simplicity of the main thought, although there is alot of depth in it's simplicity. However, as the book goes on, she definitely loses me some with the style (and some of the content) of her writing. What are your thoughts? I am using this theme in part of what I am sharing next week at our church's ladies advance. I chose to not give the book out to the ladies for various reasons, but will be basing the main topic on seeing the gifts in the simple and the eucharisto moments. would love your added thoughts on the book as a whole. :) love you. xoxoxo

Life With My Joys..... said...

Angie - would love to talk with you more about it - and just to talk to YOU, dear friend!!

I hear what you're saying for sure. The basic premise of choosing to see, and of counting the blessings - big or small, I absolutely love. Her style of writing I find deeply beautiful and poetic. There are so many quotes and statements that she's written that I love love love and deeply resonate with me.

However, I don't completely agree with her theology, so I definitely view some of the things she writes very differently. She is from a Presbyterian background - strongly Calvinistic - a rockin' sister for sure, but I personally disagree with some of her doctrine and certain other things that she writes. The forever debate of God's sovereignty versus free will...and the role that Satan plays in the world, as well.

Overall, though - the big picture I love, and her journey I really appreciate. A very very brief review, to be sure....would love to chat with you soon.

Maybe when the pox have left you? :0) You poor dear....

Angie said...

Thanks for your thoughts amy. they are almost exactly what I was thinking. love the premise, love some of the quotes (that too, resonated with me). the poetic style of writing wore on me after a while. i can take it in small doses but when I have to re-read a sentence several times to 'get' it..and this happens over several paragraphs, it gets tiring. :) I also agree that there were aspects of her content that I disagree with..but not willing to 'throw the baby out with the bath water' due to those differences. I must say, the Paris chapter did not resonate at all. I personally felt that she could have left it out entirely. But, it's her book, so she can include whatever she wants. :) And yes, we must catch up soon. The pox are still in the house and have gotten progressively worse with each child. My poor Cait (4yr.old)...she is COVERED and just miserable...especially at night. The last three nights have been very looonnng. But, with each day, we get one day closer to it being over. I have my church ladies retreat this weekend (where i am speaking/have organized it), and definitely have had moments where I completely wanna freak out...but, God has been good and given me clarity in the small moments of time that I've had to write down some thoughts to share. All that to say, let's catch up maybe even next week? Love you and miss you. xoxo