Marmie - The Canning Queen

My Mother is, for me, the epitomy of the definition of "Homemaker." I have always known this, but the longer I am a wife and mother I am continuing to realize the full extent of her love and sacrifice for her family - her outpouring of HERSELF. I feel like I still have a whole lot of selfish inside of me that needs to be fleshed out --- she just lived and breathed service and love.

I don't ever remember seeing a grumpy face if we came and crawled into bed with her in the morning. My boys get that on a regular basis! (Sometimes accompanied by a VERY loud groan when I roll over and see the actual time). I don't ever remember Mom not having time for me or being made to feel that I was interrupting something of greater importance than me when I wanted to talk. She always made the time and made me feel like I was the one giving her the gift of some of MY precious time. I have to continually battle myself and MAKE myself intentionally take a break from whatever I'm doing to go and "ooh" and "ah" for the umpteenth time over another new lego creation.

I'm working on it.

There were always fresh cookies just out of the oven when we came home from school. She was at EVERY soccer game - and involved too! She didn't bring a book or a magazine to look at. She watched ME. She sat on the edge of my bed every night and waited for me to share with her the events of the day. There were no rushed "good nights" so that she could retire to the living room to watch her t.v. show.

She was there. She was present. She was invested. And she still is.

While I lived at home, I had absolutely no desire to learn the fine arts of cooking or canning or preserving. I could care less how to make a perfect loaf of bread or how to make jelly or jam. It was NOT my thing. I was NOT Susie Homemaker or Mrs. Domestic. I was much more interested in going 4-wheeling with the boys, or playing soccer, or what have you......anything that didn't involve the kitchen! And it wasn't for her lack of trying, poor soul!

On our very first shopping excursion as a married couple, Kev suggested buying a whole chicken. I happily complied, and then as soon as he went to work I called Mom in a PANIC! I believe my freaked out words were: "MOM!!!!! How do you cook a CHICKEN???!!!!" And that was the beginning of her helping me navigate my way into a life of homemaking on my own.

This fall, for the first time in my eleven years of marriage, Mom has taught me all her trade secrets for canning and preserving, and she's given me all the family recipes for our favorite pickles, relishes, and all things cucumber and bean oriented!

And once again, now that the shoe is on the other foot and I am now making these things for my little family, I am reminded afresh and anew of the continuous labors of love that she gave to us. From now on, when she gives me a jar of her homemade pickles or relish, I will never again give a glib little "thank you" over my shoulder as I rush out the door.

It's true, the longer I am a wife and mother, the more I love and appreciate my own. Mom, if you are reading this today, your child is rising up and calling you BLESSED. I love you, my Marmie.

My friend.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Amy,

Just wanted to let you know that I am working on being present too. I find your blog such an encouragement. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who struggles with things. Thank you again for your honesty.
Jessica

Rachael said...

Your mom's testimony far outshines the wonderful words you have written, Amy...she was a wonderful mother figure to more children than just her biological ones...her children's friends also rise up and call her blessed! I heart you, Momma Q.!!!

ange said...

wow...Her children rise up and call her blessed...

and blessed you are my dear Amy..

God help me indeed to have the same invaluable impression on my own daughters..

Thank you for sharing ~ this blog struck a very deep chord,, exactly what i needed today. xo