The BEST summer chocolate cake!

Just thought I'd share with you our family's absolute favorite chocolate cake that we make OFTEN in the summer when zucchini season is on! It is THE moistest, most delish cake that gets better and better the longer it sits. You're supposed to wait until the next day to eat it, but it's usually already half gone in our house. I also love that it's very low maintenance to make AND failproof! It always comes out fantastic.

Okay. Here goes:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter (you can also use Earth Balance to make it a little healthier)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups sugar (you can go real scant here, also - and use raw sugar, as well)
2 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup buttermilk (which I NEVER have. Put a half Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a 1/2 cup measuring cup and fill it up the rest of the way with milk. voila!)
1 Tablespoon vanilla

Mix the above ingredients all together in one bowl.

2 1/2 cups flour (use whatever flours you want - half whole wheat - whatever)
4 Tablespoons cocoa
1 scant teaspoon salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 scant tsp. cinnamon

Mix these ingredients all together in another bowl.
Mix the two bowls together with a 12 oz. bag of choc. chips (or carob chips)
Put in a well greased and floured bunt pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
Check with a pick for "done-ness" and look for it to start pulling away from the edges of the pan.
Wait 5ish minutes and invert onto a plate.

Let cool, and wait for the next day to eat it either at room temp. or refrigerated.

OR - in the Booker household, brew up a pot of coffee posthaste and dive in.
THEN - refrigerate the remainders for another peice when the boys go to bed.
THEN - partake of whateve remnants are left on day #2!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy looking recipe! You should try powdered buttermilk. A friend introduced me to it and it has become a staple in my kitchen. It lasts for months in the fridge and you always have buttermilk on hand.

KateO said...

The olive oil in a baked good is skeeving me out a little, but now I'm going to try it.
I just saw you commented on my blog so I thought I'd come over and offer a little blog love myself.
Miss you too. I'm so envious of the beautiful pictures of Maine. It looks awesome.
Kate