Potty Training 101...Take Two

Since Thanksgiving is over, my Psychology work is complete, and we have only three weeks left until we head for the great country up North for the Christmas Holiday, I thought that this would be a good time to really buckle down and do the potty training for real this time.

I told Kaden right before he fell asleep last night of the plan to go into "big boy underwear" today and to start going on the big boy potty. He enthusiastically agreed that today would be a "good idea." So......here's the download of how things went this morning. The plan is that we set the timer, and every 15-20 minutes we go and sit on the potty. Kaden gets boatloads of drinks all throughout the day to help the process move along and a treat after each success. Bribery is a beautiful thing.

7:15 - Kaden wakes up with a super wet diaper from the night before. We immediately go into
big boy underwear with all pep talks included.
7:50 - Kaden yells, "I peeing RIGHT NOW!" and promptly gives me a small pond on the floor.
8:50 - KADEN PEES ON THE POTTY FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! We are both totally pumped!
Kaden gets a treat and Mommy does, too.
9:10 - Yet another small pond on the floor.
9:30 - Pond #3 on the floor. (Mommy is feeling slightly exasperated but is trying to keep a
positive vibe going. In my head I am yelling: ALL I SAID WAS, "SHOULD WE TRY
TO GO AND POTTY AGAIN?" I meant - once we arrive to the bathroom - not NOW!!!"
9:55 - SUCCESS!!! Pee #2 on the potty! Thank you, Lord!
10:20 - Maybe we're starting to get this thing down. Pee #3 on the potty!
11:00 - Minor step backwards. Large pond on my countertop, no less, while he is helping me
fix us a snack. Lord, have mercy.

And.....nothing after this until naptime. To start out, I think I'm going to put him back in diapers for naps and bedtimes until we get the daytime conquered. Loving the song...."I've got a river of life flowing out of me".......Will keep you updated on the glorious going's on in the Booker household. In case any of you are wondering, I AM totally sanitizing all areas where pee has touched. Good times!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Have fun with that! :) You made me laugh with the "I'm peeing right now!" :) Good times is right.

Angie said...

Believe it or not, you guys are off to a great start! To have almost as many 'hits' as 'misses' on the first day of trying is great! Pretty amazing how all encompassing the subject of urine can be during potty training, eh? But, hang in there and stick to it!! Keep us updated on how things go as the week goes on. Love ya!

Esther said...

Amy,
I just laughed out loud a lot while reading that. Scott's next to me trying to read his book, and he was giving me "the look" because I was distracting him... : )

Hope you're having a great week!

Anonymous said...

oh, ame, i never tire of your descriptions and colorful storytelling. i can totally hear your voice, and i love it!
hugs