30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels.

So, here's a fun little smackerel that you could make with your kidlets some Saturday...or for lunch when company is coming over...or for a special occasion...or for a Sunday evening game watching event...or for like, whenever you get a craving or something...

I found this recipe on this new little blog that I follow.
Oh my blessed word, there are some doozies for recipes over here.
This lady is equal parts very naughty - with some very good mixed in for good measure.

I have also made her "Sky High Apple Pie Muffins" which are amazingly fabulous, as well - and full of tons of goodness like 2 chunked-up apples, unsweetened applesauce, an entire chobani yogurt...and I always mash up bananas and strawberries in my muffins, too.  So, they are jam packed and loaded...and they really do bake up nice and high and fabulously dense.  Deee-lish.  A new muffin staple for us, for sure.  But, that's another recipe for another day.

TODAY, I bring you these super easy sneazy homemade pretzels of glory.

Here's what you need:
1 1/2 cups warm water (lukewarm, no need to take temperature).
2 1/4 teaspoons of active yeast (or 1 packet).
1 teaspoon salt.
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar.
4 - 4 1/2 cups flour + more for the counter surface to knead (I used a blend of several - white, wheat, spelt).
1 large egg.
Course sea salt for sprinkling.
Die, Fishy!  Die!!!
And here's what you do:
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2.  Dissolve yeast in warm water, stir with a spoon until fairly mixed - about 1 minute.  Some clusters of yeast will remain. Add salt and sugar, stir until fairly combined.  Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time.....or in the case of my Hoolies.....dump 'er all right in.  Mix with spoon or spatula until dough is thick.  Continue to add more flour until dough is no longer sticky.  Poke the dough with your finger - if it bounces back it is ready to knead.

3.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Knead it for about five minutes and shape into a ball.  With a sharp knife, cut ball into equal portions - depending entirely upon how many pretzels you wish to have, and what size you wish them to be.  I think I made 8 pretzels one time, and 10 another.  Obviously my batch with 8 was larger....

4.  Here's how you make them:  Roll each piece of dough into a rope with an even diameter.  20-ish inches long, give or take.  Once you have your long rope, take the ends and draw them together so the dough forms a circle.  Twist the ends, then bring them towards yourself and press them down into a pretzel shape.  Notice, I did not follow these instructions, and my pretzels look a little...well, different.....These instructions actually make a lot of sense...and the third time around, I actually followed them.  Trust me.  It works better this way.  Ha!

5.  In a small bowl, beat the egg and pour into a shallow bowl or pie dish.  Dunk the shaped pretzel into the egg wash (both sides).  Place on your baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.  I prefer A LOT of sea salt.

6.  Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.  If you wish, you can turn the oven to broil for that last 5 minutes to brown the tops.  Watch closely to avoid burning.

7.  Serve warm.  Preferably immediately.  With nacho dipping sauce.  Or --- instead of sea salt on top, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  In which case, still serve warm.  And dripping with some sort of ooey glaze.

You are most welcome.
Holy Hannah.
The babe leapeth within my womb...
Bet you can't eat just one...
I totally can.  But I bet you can't.
I'm lying.  I always have to eat two.
Keeping it real...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ӏ ωant you to knоw. The three students, frοm
Univеrsity of Mаnnhеіm in south-western Gеrmany, аre offering their
ѕervіcеs thгough the Internеt then
whу not tо try eleсtrоniс alternаtives?
Oг join a netwοгk which wіll
allow you to choοse from. Τhаt is
why а wіde rangе of uр tο $10, 000.

As wе enter the 21st cеnturу.



Αlso ѵіѕit mу wеb page dallas internet marketing firm