A Sneaky Little Getaway...

I have been lying to Kevy for several months now....bold-faced lying, actually....but I'm firmly convinced that this kind of lying is completely justifiable...because I've come clean...and because it was for something fun....and because I can't ever surprise him with anything because he handles the money in our family, so there's no way I can pull the wool over his eyes unless I'm sneaky.... 

Good theology, right?
Want me to give all of your kids a brief lesson on honesty?
I'll do it - for the low low price of free...I'll fill their little heads with all of the justifiable reasons of when it's good and right to lie.... and when it's not....

Okay.  Lying is not good.
And I have confessed the error of my ways.
And I'm not any good at it anyway...he totally knew what I was doing....

Here's the story.....

For several months now, I have been skimming $5, or $10, or even $20 off the top of my tips - depending on how great of a night I had - and setting that money aside before handing the rest over to Kev to pay for boring things like gas and groceries.  I knew that Mom was going to want to keep the boys for a few nights this summer, and when that time came, I wanted to be able to sneak him away for a couple of days without having to stress about the checkbook and bills.  He took what I handed him and was none the wiser.

So, when Mom and Dad asked for the kids this past week...well, how much fun do you think I had in handing over a wad of cash and saying:  "Let's kick this popsicle stand!!"  Whatever that means...I just like to say it.  And the goal was to spend only what we had - no credit cards, only cash.  Oh my word, super fun!

We love North Conway, New Hampshire.  And we especially love this sweet little Inn called the Stonehurst Manor.  Well, we only had enough money for one night there - which is perfectly fine.  A gorgeous supper and breakfast were included in the price, so that was a beautiful thing.  But, we still wanted two nights away, so we decided that we would tent for one of then.  And we are always up for a little adventure, and nothing is nearly as much work when you are childless.....  so when the forecast predicted torrential rain with potential flash flood warnings, we scoffed at the weatherman, we loaded our behemoth tent, regardless, we said that "a little rain was no big deal," we have tented a kajillion times - we're professionals!, and we kicked it to Conway, anyway....

welp.
The weatherman, he was correct.  Spot on, in fact...

We set up in torrents.
Then we changed our completely soaked through clothing in the outhouse and went out town and treated ourselves to lobster.
Then we drove back through puddles that looked like small ponds.
And we played Cribbage in our tent amidst a downpour...hardly able to hear each other speak above the rain.  And we "attempted" to sleep in the flooding, as well....

Remarkably, we did stay dry...and even warm...but that rain was so blasted loud, it was actually ear-peircing and it would literally shock us awake!  So sleep didn't really happen so much.  And listening to the rain on my roof all night long played havoc on my bladder, so I got up to pee 8 times in the night.  No joke - I counted.  Slightly insane, if you ask me.  But we survived.  Kevin with a great sense of satisfaction that we stayed totally dry.  Me with a newfound hatred for mummy sleeping bags and for peeing in the rain...and with a strong irritation for the fact that we forgot our pillows.

Kev said:  "You don't like camping."
I said:  "I like camping.  I also like my pillow.  I do NOT like mummy sleeping bags."
Kev said:  "You don't like adventure."
I said:  "I married you, didn't I?  Enough said."

And then I trounced him in Cribbage.
We are at almost 100 games played now.  I'm only ahead by 5.  It happens when I get cocky.

We drank a little camp coffee, we folded up our tent and shoved it into our trunk, we cleaned up in the outhouse across the trail, and then we rolled into town - looking every bit as crunchy as the natives who live there.

We ate at a super fun little coffee shop, and then we headed over to our beloved Stonehurst.  I honestly don't know why we love that place so much.  Well, actually yes I do.  They make amazing food, and we are really all about the food.  And the view is sweet, we're close to everything that we love to do, there are miles upon miles of trails right off their property for exploring, and we are right in the heart of the White Mountains - a perfect place for trail running, hiking, playing on the mountains, swimming in the rivers, shopping at the outlets, eating at the food joints.....it's lovely.  That's why I love it.

And we have so many sweet memories there, too.  We have spent several anniversaries and special occasions up there.  So, it was a perfect little getaway.  A super fun balance of crazy and adventure with a splash of fancy and festive.  We were filthy, we got all decked up, we swam, we ran, we hiked, we vegged, we ate, we drove, we explored, we played..... and it was perfect.

A "Happy Anniversary to us, Happy Birthday to me, Surprise to Kevy!" fun kind of trip....

And now for the real adventure....
Picking up three little hoolies and two baby kittens.
Today the REAL fun begins!



2 comments:

Kristi said...

So fun!!!! Lying for a good reason...of course that's okay. i have a little lie for Jason for his birthday this weekend, too. I feel pretty sure I can leave that lie on here 'cause he won't ever read it. Donte, one of his favorite campers from Camp Joy, is surprising him and coming here this weekend!! i am soooo excited!!!!

Happy Birthday sweet friend. i can't wait for the surprise for your boys today!!

love you.

Anonymous said...

We've gone to Conway for our last two anniversaries. (save for our last one, which was 5 days ago, where we kissed eachother, promised to go do something later when we didn't have a two week old baby and then promptly went to sleep)

Have you discovered the restaurant Peaches in N. Conway. The breakfasts are to DIE for!

Happy anniversary you two!
Sarah