Today.

Right now it's naptime at my house. I love naptime.

The boys don't necessarily always sleep - in fact, Kaden rarely does anymore, but it's a two hour break in the middle of everyone's day, where we are all still and in our own little spaces. "Still" doesn't happen much around here.

There is usually a kitty on each bed, Kaden is wrapping up his schoolwork, and Jesse is looking at books - or finding something to cut, or rip, or tie, or destroy.

Lately I've been calling Jesse "the twins." It suits him.

This little rockstar of mine is in a class all his own. He lives life completely outside of the box. His approach to every single thing in life is absolutely full tilt, no holds barred, lemme at 'em, conquer the world with gusto - etc. etc. etc. Hence, his new nickname.

Here are a couple of examples.
Exhibit A: Which pumpkin do you think is his?

Exhbit B: Which snowman do you think is his? The normal looking one out front, or the one at the back that looks like a two humped camel with legs sticking out of his back?

A free spirit, that one...

In some ways, he is most like me, and I understand his little brain the best. In other ways, he honestly is like having twins - he is equal parts hilarious and exasperation, he makes my head spin, and he is why I shall enforce the nap law for life. Naps are good for sanity.

Moving onward...

So, today we have been making little cookies that we are going to go and "treat" or neighborhood with tonight. We only know a handful of the people on our road - we haven't even laid eyes on some of them - so we are going to go door to door and give them each a little baggie of goodies.

We have never trick or treated with our boys before this year. I did it all growing up, but there was no controversy with anyone up home. Back then, it was innocent fun for everyone - even all of the local pastors and their families went out and about. Everyone knew everyone, and it was just a fun night to dress up and be silly.

I guess this year just marks another part of our morphing and growing on our own journey with the Lord. I've said it many times before, but the older I get the less I see black and white, and the more I see gray on so many issues. I am becoming far less concerned about how others will view and judge me and far more concerned about being intentional and living out life in transparency and vulnerability before my kids. I know that this is a delicate topic - one in which I will always deeply respect and honor other's views and convictions.

Mine are just changing.

The boys and I have talked a lot about Halloween in recent days. They've listened to a great Adventures in Odyssey C.D. about this night that brought about a lot of good discussion. When I asked Kaden what he thought, he said: "Well, I think we can make anything bad or we can take some things and make them good if we do it for God." Kind of profound for a seven year old.

So, that's what we're doing tonight. We're taking something that some have intended for evil, and we're just going to use it as an opportunity to be missional. To be a presence to our neighbors, to make ourselves known, and to maybe initiate the start of a neighborly relationship. It's not going to be anything profound really; but on a night where many people are planning to be home and are willingly happy to open their door to strangers...maybe it will turn out to be something really amazing, after all.

At the very least, the boys will see tonight as an opportunity to "give" and not just to receive. They will see us open our door wide to strangers instead of shutting off the light and hiding away. And together, our little family will show love to strangers who just might someday become dear friends.

I think Kaden is right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I literally just drooled AND spit water out of my mouth while reading the first half of your post. "The Twins." I love it! Perhaps I shall refer to KJ as the twins, too. If you saw my downstairs right now, you'd think we actually did have twins.

Love your plan for tonight. Absolutely great. Hopefully we will get to know some people in the church neighborhood tonight too!

Chantelle said...

Well, huney, we best be gettin' together as much as we can here on Earth then, cause after tonight I sure won't be seein you on the other side of them pearly gates.

;)

Anonymous said...

I like Kaden's thoughts on the matter. It took me a few years to figure out how I felt about the whole Halloween thing (we both had loved the fun of it growing up, but then so many of our friends were against it later). I'm glad our kids could have some of the fun memories because of our decision a long time ago. And I LOVE the idea of giving to your neighbors!

Debby B.

Trish D said...

Love Kaden's thoughts on the matter - so very true!

I've actually found Halloween to be less controversial down here, although I do know a few families who are quite passionate about ensuring everyone knows how very evil it is. Sigh. We focus on the innocent fun part (dressing up and candy, hooray!) and stay away from the dark side ;)

I haven't commented much lately, but do still love to read your blog. Never a dull moment with your "hoolies" - but would you want it any other way?!