These Fall Days.

We woke up to a frost this morning. It begins.

The squash and the pumkins coming in at night, footy p.j.'s, flannel sheets, and cozy evenings by the fireside. The days are still weird - some are warm enough to still wear shorts - if you're active like my boys; but if the wind kicks up, we find ourselves back inside fishing for our hoodies.

We bought our house at this time of year two years ago, so when fall starts to creep back in, I find myself really nostalgic with memories. Hugely pregnant, racing against time for all of the paperwork to go through, all the while praying that everything would just work out, and my Mama thinking we were crazy doing all of this so close to my due date.

God was gracious. With the help of dear friends and family, on the afternoon of October 9, we moved in to our sweet little home. Before crashing for the night, my kitchen was set up, our bedroom was organized, and paint was chosen for the walls. Just before falling asleep, I looked over at Kev and said: "If the baby comes tonight, I am perfectly happy."

And he came the next morning!
Whew. Close one.
What gifts.

That first morning here, with my two big boys snuggled in close to us and my baby inside letting me know that it was time, I remember looking out my bedroom window and seeing trees and leaves and a beautiful lawn for my kids to play on. I remember the four of us all in bed together whispering excitedly so as not to wake Grampy and Grammy downstairs, about how excited we were that this place was "ours" and "look at the tree tops!" and "Can we go outside to play right now?"

It hasn't gotten old yet. I still love waking up and seeing the trees, having the boys run outside first thing in the morning to jump on the swingset, hearing my chickens when they lay their eggs, and having this room to stretch our legs.

(I also love friends who come for tea....)

Things to hold loosely, for sure.
But things to not take for granted, either.

So, this Fall season I love, anyway.
But this week in particular - I especially love.

Home and family. Two of my favorite things.

***************
1986. Fall days of sun and breeze.
1987. Remembering this week two years ago.
1988. Friends who come for visits.
1989. Little boys who run wild and free.
1990. HOME and family.
1991. Pumkins and Squash
1992. Stars and bittersweet.
1993. Footy p.j.'s and cozy fires.
1994. Extra blankets; more cups of tea and coffee.
1995. Sweet fall baby jackets and hoodies.
1996. A baby, who became a toddler, who will very very soon be two.
1997. Leaves turning red.
1998. Crocs replaced by wellies and warmer shoes.
1999. All things apple and pumkin.
2000. The little things of life.

2 comments:

rachael a said...

yeaeeee :)

Carrie said...

Love, Love, Love this.....Fall is my favorite time of the year for all those same reasons, though not moving in my house and having a baby. :) What blessed gifts indeed! :)