Choosing to Cheat.

Today, right smack dab in the middle of teaching my boys, a friend called.
And, do you know what I did, right smack dab in the middle of our lesson time?
I picked up the phone, and I talked with her for over an hour.

Scandalous!

Being the multi-tasker that I am, I started making applesauce with these Red Delicious beauties that someone gifted to me over the weekend. And being the multi-taskers that my boys are, they took this unexpected interruption as an opportunity to surprise me with their keen knowledge and wisdom and get an amazing jump start on all of the rest of the work that they still had yet to do.

Oh wait. No they didn't.

Instead, they trashed their rooms and had the sword fight of the century.
It was Epic.

Glory be, Heavens to Betsy, and Holy Hannah, they're good little multi-taskers, aren't they? Wow. I stand amazed at what they are able to accomplish when their Mama is on the phone. I have to admit, I was slightly impressed, when I got over my twitching.

But, do you know what?
It was totally worth it.

Life is too short, and sometimes (I think) I'm way too busy to make room for interruptions. Catching up with a soul sister - in relative peace, because the boys were obviously very busy - was well worth a completely trashed bedroom. It was good. So good.

Every day we make decisions to cheat something in favor of something else. Will I sleep in or will I exercise? Will I fold those five loads of laundry or will I spend that time intentionally with my kids? Will I blog or will I clean? And today -- will I teach Math or talk to my friend? Today, my friend was much more important than addition. And I think I cheated correctly - though the applesauce should have waited. I'm a work in progress.

And now my boys will ask themselves: "Will I clean so that I can eat?"
Choose wisely my Loves...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I always love reading your blogs, but laughed hard at the applesauce comment. You'd think by now you'd learn...=) I love you Sister friend.

KateO said...

LOL!
I cheat everyday, probably all day, because your picture of the boys room looks like MY big boys room about 50% of the time. (I'm lying, it looks like that 80% of the time).