Sunday Love.

I cannot stand clutter. It really makes me crazy.
I am a minimalist, I hate stuff, and piles of anything make me nervous.

However.

I love me my books. I really really love me my books.

Whenever I go yard saling or thrifting, the book section is always the first thing that draws me in. And, although we have no need for any extras, and although we don't really have the extra space - like a moth to a flame, I am drawn.

And as a Mama who loves reading, I really want to instill that same love into my sons. It's one of the reasons why I love the homeschool curriculum that I am using. It is almost completely literature driven. Other than Math, Phonics, and Handwriting workbooks, just about everything else is us reading through beautiful, beautiful books together. I love that.
Another reason why I love books so much is that it is just about the only time of the day (other than naps and bedtime) where the hoolies actually sit still and are quiet. No joke. Even mealtimes are a bit of a jungle. But, there is just something magical about getting lost in a book together.

And mainly, I just feel like I'm a good mom when we're all snuggled up together on the couch. I'm not really a very good "play-er" with my children. I'm too much of a multi-tasking whirling dervish, and it's very hard for me to just sit and play legos or ninja or cars for any amount of time. My mind wanders, I start getting fidgety, and I'm just not good at it.

There's a lot of things that I'm not good at with this whole parenting gig. I'm impatient, I'm grumpy, I don't let them jump on the beds, I get irritated when they're loud, I too easily get caught up in the rush of the urgent and choose that far too often over slowing and just being; and sometimes I'm just plain no fun.

So reading feels redemptive for me.

I've slowed. I've stopped.
I'm seeing them. I'm touching them.
And I get lost with them for as long as they are able to sit still.
Maybe that's why I can't stop collecting!

This is one of our all time favorites around here. It was also my favorite as a child, so it brings back really cozy memories of my Mama snuggling up with me on the couch.

These stories have real photographs for pictures, and even Ransom is mesmerized for a pretty long period of time.

Other books that I am ALWAYS keeping my eye out for are:
~ Any National Geographic Book for kids. Again, real pics, and pretty educational.

~ The Little Blessings books which are precious and have the same illustrator as the Care Bears books.

~ Any Henry and Mudge books. They are sweet little stories about a boy and his dog.

~ Franklin by Brenda Clark. They also have some sweet Franklin movies, as well.

~ And Little Critter by Mercer Meyer. Silly and Fun, and again a childhood memory for me.

Other fun little series that we love are: The Magic School Bus, The Magic Tree House, The Boxcar Children, and all of the Little House on the Prairie Books.

So, tell me...
What books do you love?
What do you feel like you do well with your children?
What feels redemptive to you?

****************
2058. Losing all track of time.
2059. Touching, smelling, seeing - being ALL there.
2060. One love on my lap, and one on either side.
2061. Forgetting about the messes and focusing on the important.

4 comments:

Chantelle said...

I'm gonna have to go order that book that's your favorite. Looks sweet! (Oh and redemptive? I'm drawing a blank.)

Angie said...

we love the Pigeon series by Mo Willems! They are awesome! Make me laugh every time, especially when my girl Rory reads them. she reads them with such a funny tone! cracks me up every time! also, the Knuffle Bunny books by the same author. As kaden gets a little older, he may like the Treehouse series. They were the first chapter book series that Kieran got into and they are great books. I too, love reading with my kids. I feel exactly the same way about it as you do. Don't play that long/often, but will read them a book anytime! And so far they all love to read! In fact, they are in their beds now, reading! :) xoxo

Rachel said...

I am drawn to books also buy one whenever I have a chance. Goodwill has been a great resource for many of our books I feel so sad when they have outgrown one that was as much my favorite as theirs. I still cannot bear to get rid of many of the baby books they had. matthew has just started the new series of Adventures in Odessey chapter books. They are great so far! Sam loves any books about cars/trucks/ firetrucks etc :) Thanks for the great post. Feeling redemptive for me is time cooking with them/ a game/or reading a good book.

rachael a said...

the book my parents read to us over and over and over again and which has always stuck with me. is Paul Bunyan's Pilgrim's progress. they had about four different versions and all of them good.

little house on the Prairie for sure.

sam is more of a mover and a jumper. although he'll settle down to read sometimes. . he would much rather i push him on the swing ten times a day. . and chase him around the house.. and shoot him with a nerf gun. :) the older he gets the more and more we do things side by side.. . and THAT. . i LOVE. he's drawing while im painting and actually working on something. he helps. . actually HELPS me bake! :) he putters and creates something amazing in his own little world while im sewing. . using my scraps and odds and ends of anything he can get his little paws on. i love it. it makes all the chasing around the house and hours and HOURS of swing times. . worth it.