Merry Christmas and Toe Jam

Tis the season for lots of holiday baking around these here parts. Fun treats that get made only once a year beg for little hands to help share in the cooking and baking! From toddlerhood, both of my boys have always loved to help out in the kitchen - stirring, mixing, scooping - and when Mama feels brave - cracking eggs, and.....as of late.....using the mixer. Holy Heavens - do the ingredients ever fly!

Today, we made homemade peppermint patties. They are Kaden's and my most favorite candy, and my sweet little neighbor, Lou happens to be quite fond of them, as well. It's his 90th birthday today, so we're having him over for supper, and then we'll send him home with a little tin of these treats.



Kaden is the neater and more particular of the two guys in the kitchen. Shocker. But, today - we were surrounded by a plume of confectioner's sugar! It was everywhere! Really, quite amazing, actually.....

No worries....the toes never went near the food in the bowl.....just right up to the edge!

And, this is how we do it! Kaden sits on the counter and mixes. Jesse stands on a chair and licks off every speck of sugar he can find. There was a lot today.

I had to cut them off when it came to the floor. This picture does not begin to do justice to the floors...and the chair...and the counter....and our clothes. It was epic.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Bwaha! Priceless!

Kristi said...

I love that!!!! I've just started baking with Jonah -- he loves!!!!! it!! OH my word -- today we were making muffins, and he grabbed the mixer, and it was ALMOST a disaster, little rascal. I love your pictures! I wish we were neighbours. and could send the boys to play while we drink coffee...mmmmm. that would be nice.

Kelsey said...

It's okay-- ingredients still fly when I use the mixer. I think maybe some people just never grow out of it. :-P