A New Spin on Turkey

I found a funky way to cook a bird online and gave it a whirl the other day. It actually turned out pretty good, and I'm going to tweak it just a bit and try it again soon.

I bought a 20+ pound bird and brined it in one of our coolers for 6-8 hours with tons of ice, 2 cups of kosher salt, and a cup of brown suger.

Then, I rinsed it off; salted it inside and out; put some garlic, onion, and an apple inside the cavity; brushed the top with olive oil; and stuck it in the oven at 500 degrees (500!!!) for two hours.

Easy Sneezy. I guess the whole idea of the brining and super hot temps is to get you a really moist and juicy bird.

Next time I'm going to brine it all night long. But it was really yummy - the outside was brown and crispy, and the inside really was very juicey and flavorful.

The next day I made a honking soup and Kev smoked some in his smoker. And I still have some left over for quesadillas. Delish.

Just thought I'd share......

P.S. Turkey's on sale for 40 cents a pound at Wal-Mart!

No comments: