Baby Names.....

I knew when we named this little guy "Ransom" that there would be some comments. I almost chickened out and went with an ever faithful old standby, but just a couple of days before he was born Kev said: "We're naming him Ransom. We've liked that name for a long time, and we're not going to pick another name just because we're worried about what other people think!" That's the main reason why we've never told people our name choices before the kids are born. Because once our kids are here and we proudly declare the name, people keep their comments to themselves on whether they like it or not!

Anyway, I digress.

The whole point of this post is the nicknames that take place in this house. I have purposely (and hypocritcally so) given all three of my boys names that don't come with easy nicknames. I want my kids to be what I've named them. I'm the world's biggest hypocrite, though, in the fact that I have a nickname for everyone and their dog! (Sometimes several.....)

So, a few people have asked us "what are you going to call him?" To clear up any further questions, the answer is.........wait for it..........RANSOM.

I know. Crazy.
He will NOT be a "Randy" or a "Ran." He will be Ransom.
However.....

Behind the four walls of this house you may hear:
"RANCID" - During poo explosions
"Ransey" - From his big brother
(I wonder where he got those nicknaming skills?)
And occasionally, to get a reaction out of my teasing friends:
"Ransey-Dancey Doo."

Other than that, the rest of the world may call him Ransom.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I for one, LOVE his full name! When I first heard it, I thought of how Christ was ransomed for us. I think it is a strong and beautiful name. I was never very good at coming up with nicknames. Yours are WAY cute!

Kristi said...

i love his name, too -- i love different names, and...pretty soon, it will just seem normal to everyone who knows him...there are plenty stranger names...anyways...i love it.

i am going to talk to you again soon...i've decided we're not going to continue our once or twice a year thing...that's just crazy.

i love ya -- hope you're enjoying your weekend with all your boys...i miss you.

Shay said...

Rancid, too funny!

As someone whose parents gave them a weird name, I will tell you that I have mixed reactions when someone else does it to their own kid. I have a love/hate relationship with my name. I like that it's different and no one else has it, but sometimes I hate that people think it's weird, or ask me a hundred times how to spell it, or ask if it's short for something (implying it's short for something normal or better).
That being said, I've talked to many a Jennifer or Stacy who said they get tired of being one of many, or having to use their last initial to be identified etc. So really, in the end, most of us are discontented with what we are given, and think that some other option would have been better. Kudos to you for picking the name that YOU loved & wanted. If he ever gives you a hard time as a teen, send him my way ;)