Happy First Day of Hunting Season!

That expression gets a little more excitement around our house than "Happy Halloween!" :0) We're hoping Daddy gets the big ole "tirty pointer" today. Our freezer is bare, and we want some jerky!

Not that I am even horrifically (Is that a word? Is that even spelled right? My brain is TIRED!) against this whole "Holiday".

Gasp - I really did say that, AND I do love Jesus. :0)

Granted, now that I'm older, it's not really my fave, and I'm happy when it's gone by, but I actually have some really fun and very happy memories of trick or treating with my friends and cousins back in the day. We'd spend DAYS dreaming up what we were going to wear - and we didn't spend the big bucks on costumes. We just raided our closets, and our parents closets, and Mom's make-up, and whatever else we could find and we went CRAZY! And it was so harmless back then. Even our pastor took his kids - everyone in our neighborhood took their families, and the parents dressed up, too! It was just silly and fun. A completely harmless, fun, family event.

Now I know that times they have a changed and that it's "Satan's Holiday" and all. But, I am still not diametrically opposed to it, I don't look down my nose at other people who go, and I definitly don't even begin to judge them or think their walk with God MUST be suffering. But, that's just me. I'm kind of simple that way.

HOWEVER.

Unless my boys beg to dress up and do it some year and unless we all go together and go only to friend's and families homes, we probably won't be going trick or treating. But, if they beg to go some year, we might. That was kind of a hypocritical statement, eh? Maybe that sounds kind of wishy-washy. I'm just not going to choose to die on that mountain with my kids.

Probably the biggest reasons why we would not go is that I know a lot of people who do have major reservations with celebrating this day, and I don't love offending others or being a stumbling block in any way. Also, on a far less "spiritual" note, I don't want to be divvying out candy for years and having the boys be on sugar highs every day until they're ten, I'm kind of lazy and don't really feel like going out in the cold, I'd much rather do some sort of Harvest-y type party and have fun that way, and we can make the day fun in other ways - especially while my kids are really young and don't know the difference anyway.

So, today the boys and I watched a fun movie, we made a funky homemade paste and made fall (and dinosaur!) ornaments to hang in our windows, we ate our own candy, and we're making some fun yummy dessert to have when Daddy gets home with our big buck! Good times!

And we'll see what discussion ensues if we have some little gremlins show up at our doorstep begging for treats this evening! :0)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a fun day in the kitchen for you and the boys! I'm curious to know if you got any trick-or-treaters, because out here in Newburgh I never get any. I always wonder if I should buy the candy just in case, but I know if nobody shows up, I'll eat the whole bag myself!