Yesterday......


Betty Crocker, I was NOT!!!

Holy Cow!!! Every single thing that I put my hands to bombed...ROYALLY!

We have a Mom's get together every Monday morning. I thought it would be fun to make some gingersnap cut-out cookies with the kids, so the older two helped me whip up the batter really quickly. I was rushing, and trying to multi-task, and misread the recipe BIG time! There was a grease spot on the ingredient amounts, and I mistook 1 teaspoon of baking soda and instead read 6 TEASPOONS! Holy nastiness!!

And the funny thing is, I didn't even notice until everyone had left and I had sent cookies home with the kidlets. I sat down and tried a bite of one for myself and just about died from the bitterness! In hindsight, I don't think any recipe that I have EVER made has called for six teaspoons of baking soda! Ha!

And then - later in the afternoon I was trying to make supper with my crabby younger son who had just awakened from his nap WHILE talking on the phone with a long lost friend who never updates her blog so I can't ever really catch up on her life...ahem...hint hint. So, needless to say, I was focusing more on our conversation rather than the recipe, and instead of putting curry in, I put in cumin - which KILLS my husband's stomach, by the way! Once I realized, I shook a whole bunch of curry on top of that, added a little honey for sweetness, and chucked it onto the table!

And in that moment, I decided that I was done in the kitchen for the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ame, my dear! I noticed the baking soda but you'd been so awesome making a fun time for the kids I couldn't bring myself to share. But they were still totally edible :) And we had so much fun! No worries.
Last night wasn't my night either. Peter asked for biscuits with his soup. i went for the usual recipe, but then thought "why don't I make something different?ooo, here's some yummy ones that will use up this sour cream I've got..."
Well, he was less-than-thrilled with them when his palate was ready for plain old biscuits, and I totally should have known to check with him first. In fact, I ignored that little niggling in my brain, aka Holy Spirit.
Why can't I love my dear man in the most simplest of ways? ARGH...
Love you and thanks again for yesterday. You are an amazing hostess. BTW, what recipe were you trying to make last night? i'll have to remember Kevin and cumin and not do mexican when you come over. Loves, Shannie

Life With My Joys..... said...

Kev LOVES Mexican....just whenever I make my quesadillas, they always hurt his tummy, so he thinks it must be the cumin....it's the only remotely funky thing in it.???

NEXT time, dear friend - please TELL me if you taste something out of whack! Oh my word....I guess nothing could have been done about it by then, anyway. I refuse to chuck them, though, so we're eating them with really REALLY strong tea! Ha! Kaden keeps asking for a "different treat" whenever I offer them!! :0)

Good times, good times.....

rachael a said...

shannon you would still eat those cookies! haha!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm afraid I am not a good judge. Ha ha. Waste not, want not, you now me! :)