Okaaaaay........Want to Play a Game?

I just got off of the phone with a friend who shall remain anonymous, but I just want you to know - dear friend - that this one is for you! You are the second person in the span of a few weeks here who has commented on the "peppy-ness" of my blog and, I believe the question of: "How come you are always so happy?" also came about in said conversation a few times.

I scan a few blogs where all that I read is perpetual sunshine and rainbows and butterflies and to be quite frank - I find them sickening, and they drive me absolutely CRAZY! Whenever I read these blogs, I feel like gagging from the oh so perfect gloriousness of these people's lives, and they by no means encourage me or brighten my day in ANY shape of the imagination...and I find it hard to believe that nothing EVER goes wrong in their lives and that they don't ever struggle.

Sooooo, if my blog is one of those kinds of blogs - by all means - shoot me right now! Generally - I really do love my life, and I am a happy person, overall - but BY NO MEANS am I sunshine and butterflies all day every day. It has never been my intention to come across this way in my writing. In fact, I have been trying to be more intentional about writing about ALL things in my life - the good, the bad, AND the ugly.

I know that we all struggle with things - some of us are just better at hiding these things than others, and it's super hard to be vulnerable...especially with people who seem to have life all together and tied up in a pretty bow all the time. I don't want to be one of those people. If I have done that, I am going to clear up a few things right now. Settle in, because this post is a long one. But, I just want to share a small sampling - a tiny tidbit - of the things that I am currently struggling with and, by God's grace, working through.

I'll call it - Amy's Top Ten Current Things of Yuck, and I'm just going to lay it all out there - no excuses, no nothing.

1. I think about my personal appearance more than I should. Since we've moved home I've gained ten pounds. Not sure how or when it happened, but it's somewhat all consuming and frustrating to me; and it's all I can seem to think about.

2. Whenever I go to certain friend's homes and see their creativity or things that I want or their lack of toys and stuff everywhere or their Suzy Homemaker abilities, I have to constantly fight the urge to not be ungrateful and to not covet. Kev can tell when I've been visiting them just by my attitude - I can become a completely different person and all of a sudden hate my home and all things in it instantly!

3. Kaden did not have a stellar Christmas in the "thankfulness department." This entire holiday I had to constantly remind him to thank the gift giver, to not compare what he got to others, to be happy with what he was given, and to actually LOOK at the present before tossing it to the side. Many moments of feeling like a failure here and of being embarassed......and not necessarily for the right reasons, either. I wanted him to act appropriately, so that people would see what a great kid he is.....so that in turn - they would think what a great mom I am.

4. I like the spotlight. I like accolades. When someone else gets them instead of me, I get jealous. (Nice, eh?)

5. There are MANY days (and often many moments within said days) where I could bonk my kids' heads together and promptly throw them out the window! In the four years that I have been a mother, I have never cried more in my life or felt more lonely or like a failure in EVERY area of my life. Half of the time I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I don't feel like I'm doing a good job, and I feel like everyone around has "it" completely together and never struggles with ANYTHING!

6. I am a people pleaser. I worry far more about what people think of me and my home and my mothering and my family and my LIFE than of what THE LORD thinks of any of those things.

7. Kaden and I are very different in our personalities. He is shy and timid and slower than death on stilts, and he needs things explained to the 9th degree......and I am not. I have to constantly reign myself in from constantly being short with him just because he handles life differently than me! I want to let him be HIM, but sometimes it's hard! And Jesse has me eating humble pie every day - he has had phases of biting, hitting, screaming, throwing, and all said things put together at once....and often in public!

8. Sometimes I crave "life before kids." I enjoyed working, I loved my independence, and I loved my home neat, sparse, and organized! In the darkest depths within me lies a career woman who could potentially leave my family in the dust for the lure of the spotlight and "things of importance" that can be measured by the world's standards. I know in my heart of hearts that what I am doing is of utmost importance in the Lord's eyes and that it is my highest calling, and MOST often I really am living my dream in being able to stay home with them....but there are days....just so you know.

9. I compare, compare, compare. And I don't compare myself to the Lord's standards, but I compare myself to everyone around me. When I look at myself through the lens of other's lives I see that I don't play enough with my children, I'm not creative enough with them, I shouldn't be so excited for naptimes, I'm not structured enough....or maybe I'm too structured, I enjoy being away from them more than I should....or maybe I'm too protective and don't leave them enough, I worry too much about the neatness of my home, I need to have a huge family if I'm a good Christian, don't I?, homeschool or regular school....and on and on and on. I could go crazy if I let myself.

10. Up until just last month, my quiet time with the Lord ROTTED, and was sporatic at best. I am just getting back into the routine that I think He is pleased with along with the right motivation behind WHY I am having my quiet time. And the reason why (I am reminded afresh and anew - almost every day it seems -) is that I desperately need Him and His wisdom and grace. I am a hopeless failure without Him!

So, there you have it. Real pretty, eh?

Did that encourage anyone?
Can anyone else relate?......Anyone else want to play?

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, Amy. I LOVE realness! I relate to pretty much all of that! The comparison, the jealousy, the people pleasing, the focus on my physical appearance, the frustration with mommyhood (and I've only been at it for a month!)Thank-you for this post. I firmly belief sharing all the "junk in the trunk" (as a group I was in once termed it) is truly healthy!

Anonymous said...

Good, Ame...good to read about realness...it is hard to be vulnerable...and hard to be vulnerable on the world-wide-web...some people do it better than others...and anyone can make their life LOOK any way they want it to...jollier or more miserable...just a matter of perspective...but, being genuine and real...that is really all we want...there's a song that Caedmon's call sings and a line in it says "I love anonymity and I love being noticed"...so true..we are so many different, conflicting ways, depending on the day. Good days and bad days...of course!! Anyways...I always love reading your blogs...i am not a good blogger -- not transparent enough...not wanting the 'world' to know all about my life, but...good to be sincere...and I appreciated reading your post. I love ya. hope to chat soon...

Esther said...

Amy,
All I can say is that you are amazing, and reading your blog DOES inspire, motivate me, and often brings me to tears. (Of course, these days I think a peanut shell dropping on the floor could bring me to tears - haha). Anyway, thanks for your openness and honesty. I am inspired to write my own blog now.

Life With My Joys..... said...

Just for the record, I think my wife is hot, an awesome homemaker, an incredible wife, and a wonderful mommy! She is my soulmate, best friend, and huge source of encouragement. God teaches me about Himself through her all the time!

I love how God works in and through us at the same time!

rachael a said...

heh heh :) ..

oh. . .i just read kevin's at the end. he's too adorable.

Anonymous said...

Amy...I love to read your blog because it is you. I like the upbeat because it encourages me. I like this kind of blog, too, because it gives me hope that I'm not alone! I learn so much from you younger women! Thanks for sharing ALL parts of yourself!

By the way, I always go away from your home (even your little apartment in PA) wishing I lived in your house because it always looks so inviting!

Debby B.

Anonymous said...

First of all... did Kevin just say that you're hot, on the internet for all to see (I always have thought you were very pretty, btw)? Haha... that makes me smile. :-)
Second, I want to say thank you for being real. I think that's one of the things about you that makes it so appealing to be with you. You're not fake and you don't pretend to be perfect, since nobody can be.
You are one of my favorite people in the world and have always been such an encouragement and example of a godly woman to me through junior high, high school and now college! :-)
Love you!

Angie said...

Oh, Ame...you are so wonderful! I will just say ditto, ditto, ditto to all of the above! But, please don't think you were one of those 'make my life seem perfect and happy, happy, happy' mommy bloggers...'cause I truly don't think you were/are! I know you so well, and know how you almost always will find the positive things in every situation. I know you have your days...we all do...but, I always find you have such a great balance in sharing what's good and positive in your life, as well as your struggles. I love you Ame!! (and I think you're hot too! :). xoxoxoxo Let's chat soon!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

PREACH IT, WOMAN!! I relate to every single solitary point you made.

Keep on keepin' it real, girlfriend. ;)

[Oh and Kev's right - you ARE "hot". Don't change a thing!] :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,

*huuugs*

Kudos for both your bravery and your vulnerability-- so so so very hard.

I'm reminded of the many many times I fled to you (whether at youth group or in the middle of the night at snow camp or during a bad week at PBU) and you listened and advised and smoothed my ruffled soul. So, dearest Amy, even when you feel like a "cracked pot," remember that God uses cracked pots (to borrow the phrase) and He's definitely using you!

XOXOXOXOXO
Katie

P.S. Kevin's comment made me cry.

Anonymous said...

You got me laughing, thats for sure. :)
I have a feeling I am one of those people who said something to spark this post.
I must admit that whenever I came away from your blog I wanted to hunt down some B vitamins to give me some energy.... but I didn't get the feeling that you were perfect.
I can so relate to all of your list. We all go there sometimes, don't we?
Love your blog. Keep being your peppy self! :)

Shay said...

So I was trying to think of something wise to say, like about how there are many gifts, and how we all make up the body of Christ, but I'm sure that would be boring and make me the nerd, so I shall refrain.
I will say that when I would be around you in your Philly days, I would always come away with a sense of peace and calmness. I would never think that you had some kind of Pollyanna attitude, but you just have an inner happiness, the super fab kind that only comes from Jesus. Everybody has their ugly junk, if we didn't we wouldn't need Him.
And you read my blog, so you know I'm not down with the unicorns and cupcakes either ;)

Kevin and Amy said...

unicorns and cupcakes! HA!!! What a hoot, Shay!