Happy Memorial Day!

Up home, Memorial Day is one of my mostest fave holidays. We celebrate it hick style and usually spend the day canoeing some river with a hotdog roast on a bank somewhere. We make a nice little smudge to keep the blackflies at bay, and then we continue on our merry way for the rest of the afternoon just lazing down the river, hitting a rapid or two, and trolling with our fishing poles. In earlier years when everyone had more energy and less children, we also would do some tenting during this holiday weekend, as well. This year, we went home earlier in the month, so we missed out on the big to-do's, and wouldn't you know that this is the very first time that Mom & Dad flipped their canoe! I have waited my entire life to see this spectacular event with Mom shrieking like a banshee as her homemade cookies wash downstream, and of course it had to happen while I'm in Philly! I can't wait to get the details from my bro! I'm glad you're all okay, but Mister Man, I wish I was there to witness the spectacle! Good times!

Anyhoo, Kev knows that this is one of my most fave holidays, so instead of going off some place to do homework like he so desperately needs to do, he stayed home and made it fun for lil 'ole me and the boysies. We went to our fave local orchard and picked three little pints of strawberries; it's the very first day of the season. Then, we went to the store right next door and bought a spontaneous picnic lunch and came back and ate it on the picnic tables right in the orchard. Some friends are coming by for a BBQ supper, and we're going to make camp coffee and dutch oven biscuits for some homemade strawberry shortcake. It'll be kind of like camping - only ghetto style!

2 comments:

Shay said...

Glad you had a good holiday! We were camping so now I'm catching up here... So glad to read about Jesse's surgery going smoothly. Hopefully neither of us will ever have to be in that surgery waiting room every again with our boys! And yay for Kaden's new big boy bike! So exciting! :)

Anonymous said...

oooo....I can just taste that strawberry shortcake! My favorite dessert of all time. :)I love how you recreate your favorite country things in your current urban environment. Love you Ame. How is Jesse's hand healing? So glad the surgery went smoothly.
So my belly is dropping and nestiing is in full major gear all of a sudden,so...we shall see if we keep to the due date! :)