Happy Birthday, Sweet Kaden!

So hard to believe that our little guy turned four years old yesterday. My baby boy is no more. I clearly remember how I felt four years ago: unsure of what I'd gotten myself into, wondering if I was even going to be a good mom and if I would even enjoy motherhood, praying to the Lord that I would be able to soothe him when he cried because I always made babies freak out when I held them....and the feelings went on. And I oh so vividly remember the first time I held him when he was crying and seeing how he was instantly soothed in my arms; and then I knew that I was going to be okay! My, how I fell in love. What a gift the Lord has given us in Kaden.

It was so much fun celebrating him all day long! And oh the fun we had! We went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast, and then we immediately headed over to Tyler State Park to spend the rest of the morning and to have a picnic lunch. Hidden in our car top carrier was his brand new big boy bike, and he was SO excited when we pulled it out! One of the first things that he said was: "Now Jesse can have my tricyle because I have a big boy bike now. I don't need it anymore!" He was a little timid at first and just wanted to walk it around, but after just a couple of minutes, we couldn't get him off it. He didn't even want to stop for his pizza picnic!

After naptime, we had the backyard all decorated with his kiddie pool all set up, and we had a really fun bbq with a bunch of his little friends. They all swam and rode trikes and bikes, he unwrapped gifts, and we had a cake all decorated with candy to look like a bike. Kev actually did most of the decorating, because I was getting so frustrated with the decorating instructions! He was so impressed with himself that he carved his initials in the frosting with licorice!

The only downer of the night was that we're pretty sure Kaden got a little bit of heat exhaustion as a result of all the day's festivities. He spiked a fever in the night and really all of today he's been quite drained, as well. Poor little guy. It's hard work being a big boy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ame, so glad Kaden had a fun day. So cute about Kev and the cake. Peter has designated himself the cake man for all Natalie's birthdays and was quite proud of his Curious George this year, especially since she actually recognized the character when she saw it.

Thanks too for your mommy post. It was really just what I needed and I swear I've felt your prayers in the last 24 hours as i've been struggling with some pre-birth jitters.

Can't wait to be giving you "the call!"