Adventures in Parenting

Today is one of those days where in looking back, all we can do is laugh. So many silly, crazy, scary, and yucky things happened in the span of just a few hours that I just have to write about them and document their happenings!

We went to UNO's for lunch today where hubby was in rare form. First of all, he asked for a side of hot sauce for his sandwich, and as soon as it came, he looks over at Kaden all innocently and asks: "Kaden, would you like a drink of tomato juice?" Kaden - trusting his father completely AS HE SHOULD!!!! - leans forward and takes a nice haul off of Kev's Red Hot! I braced myself waiting.....meanwhile both Kev and I are dying laughing, and I'm feeling like a loser mommy for even finding it funny in the first place. Kaden swallows, looks over at us, and immediatly hangs his tongue out of his mouth and starts chugging his water. We had tears, it was so funny! Not two seconds later, Kev offers him a taste of his other side of BBQ sauce. Genuis that he was being today, he loads up a big scoop on his FORK and puts it up to Kaden's mouth. Well, of course, most of it dribbled out the slats of the fork and went all down the front of Kaden's shirt! When Kev saw this happen, he jerked his arm back and proceeded to spill even more of it down the arm of Kaden's white shirt. Kaden just looked at us like we were crazy today. It's true. Good thing I hadn't done laundry yet, because the story gets better.

Then, after Kaden's nap, Kev had a cup of black coffee sitting on the table. Kaden walked over and innocently asked: "Oh, Daddy! Can I have a sip of your soda?" Kev innocently answered, "Sure, Honey." Again - another long haul. (It was ice coffee - but still....you know when you're expecting to taste one thing and then you get another?" He's not going to trust Daddy much after today! Hubby was an IMP today!

Well, all of those things are nothing compared to MY saga with the boys today. While Kaden napped and Kev was doing homework at home, I decided to go out and do a little shopping with Jesse. I wore him in the backpack because he loves it, and as soon as I walked into the store, all of a sudden, I feel this huge shift, and Jesse slid right out the bottom of my pack! I reached down and grabbed his bum just in time - right before he smashed onto the floor! OH MY WORD!!! What if this had happened while I was walking across the parking lot? What if a car had been whizzing by????? Anyhoo, HE wasn't fazed in the least, but I just about had a bird!

Then - while we were walking through a store, Jesse decided that he wanted to suck on my cheek and my chin. This is his new thing lately. It was keeping him happy and occupied, so I just let him suck away while I was browsing. Upon looking in the mirror when I got home, however, I now see that I have a massive hickey on my face that is VERY noticeable! Perfect for when we go to company's house tomorrow for Thanksgiving. (I'm going to tell everyone that Kev did it! kidding.......)

Finally, when we came home, I sat Jesse in his little Bumbo seat to feed him some cereal, and I thought that I kept smelling a certain odor. (Having Daddy in the same room, I thought nothing of this odor, so I didn't think it necesssary to check Jesse!) Twenty minutes later, I lifted Jesse out of his seat, and to my utter horror, I realized that he had been sitting in a literal puddle of his own poo! It was SO gross! In lifting him out, I also successfully managed to ooze it all up his back, down his legs, and all over my own shirt, as well. Delish. In with the pile of hot sauce and BBQ laundry those clothes went. This is going to be a yummy load of wash, let me tell ya.

And finally, to top off this nutso day, when Kaden woke up from his nap, he came out and snuggled my leg while I was cooking. Just as I was turning to grab something from the fridge, he grabbed hold and gave me a pretty strong "love push," and down to the floor we both toppled with 135 pounds of me landing on 35 pounds of him. After many tears (from him) and a really sore bum (of mine), after baths and clean ups for all of us, and after supper, stories, and beddy-bies, I look back on today and am happy and amazed that we are all still in one piece!!! It was like a regular zoo around here today!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Amy, you gave me a good laugh as I head of to beddie-bye myself. Life with boys eh!?! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my word that has got to be the best thing I've seen in a long time! Sounds like a day I could have! It was nice to talk to you the other morning! Have a great Thanksgiving! Love Ya!