Today.

My last thought before falling asleep last night was a mumbled prayer, "Lord, please don't let me oversleep tomorrow. It's going to be a busy day," coupled with the frustration that the clock read Midnight, and I wasn't yet in Dreamland. I love me my sleep.

And then the next thing I know, is it's 5:00 a.m. and today has arrived.
I burrow down until the blankets cover my ears and only my nose and eyes are showing, and I think mean thoughts toward my clock. It's mocking me.

And then, I lay there thinking about all that will need to get done in this day.
Tuesday is my busiest day of the week.

I babysit all day, I will have a house full of guests, and I will cover the closing shift at work tonight. And somewhere in there I should really make a loaf of bread to feed my family and get in at least a few subjects of schooling with Kaden.

But, I lay there, unwilling to get up and offically begin today.
Right now, it feels a little daunting.

It's days like today that I cling to this verse:

"O Lord, I cry out to you for help, and in the morning, my prayer comes before You." ~ Psalm 88:13

I think that verse was written specifically with young mother's in mind.

Right along with: "O grant strength to Your servant!" ~ Psalm 86:16

These are the days where I pray, "God can you please bathe today in Your grace?"
"Can you help me get out of the way of myself?"
Because right now, all I see is a daunting list of to-do's that's going to stay at full-tilt for the next fifteen hours, so I'm exhausted before I've even started.

But, His mercies are new every morning, and that's when He works best through His kids. He does His best work through us, when we know we can't do it on our own. I'm quite positive that's me today...and it all started when I tried to put a right flipflop on my left foot. Three times. That's kind of a good sign for me that my brain is still a little fried.

So, today, it needs to be all Him.
His strength is perfected only in our weaknesses, anyway...

And, just like every other day - today is fresh, and it is brand new.
And maybe in some ways, it has even more potential for good and for grace - because today, unlike every other day of the week, I am most aware of my need for Jesus.

Today is bathed in prayer, because I know I can't do it on my own.
It's too bad that so many other days of the week, I think that I'm the one who has it under control.

Help me today, Lord, to be a soothing stand-in for this little baby's Mama.
Help me today, to speak the life words to my sweet friend and her sister.
Help me to be wise and fair, loving and attentive with these five little boys under my roof today.
And help me to be an accurate and positive reflection of You during my work shift.

Help me to accomplish well, the assignment that You've given me for today.
After all, it's all about relationships, right?
This day, my busiest and potentially most stressful day of the week, holds the most potential for being His hands and His feet and for being a blessing to the greatest amount of people.

So, bathe me in your grace today, Father.
Be my words. My hands. My feet.
Fill me with You and only You.
Because it's all about relationships. Jesus was always about people.
And just like Him, help me to be about My Father's business...

1 comment:

Angelica said...

mmm..mm....perfect prayer to start every day~..