Week One - Recap


Okay. We have successfully completed our first week of homeschool here at the Booker Academy. No tears were shed. No hair was pulled out on my part. Jesse's incessant chatter didn't frazzle me too awfully much. Ransom's new crawling moves didn't throw things too much. And twice, I heard Kaden say: "I love school." That's a bonus; although, I am fully and completely aware that we are one week in, so all things are new and exciting. Overall, though, I would say it was a success, and we all enjoyed ourselves.

One of my main reasons in doing this has been to maintain simplicity in our lives for a bit longer. I DO see the irony in that I have just added something else to my plate. However, the way I look at it, is I would either be adding roughly two hours a day, five days a week of driving to my plate (to and from school twice a day) - or roughly two hours a day reading, writing, and sitting around my kitchen table with my boys. When I look at it that way - I would much rather have Kindergarten school work added to my plate as opposed to two hours of driving. Yucko.

Plus, already I am loving the flexibility of our schedule. Today, we kind of crammed two days of work into one (not the greatest idea, and one in which I won't do often. We're both fried) so that we can have a long week-end with the grandparents. So, I do love that.

On the other hand, I have already had a few moments of panic in wondering if I've made the right decision and if I am doing right by him. It was day #2 actually - before we even started school for the day! We only had one little day under our belt, and I was already questioning our decision. This could be interesting! I was having thoughts like: "OH man. I just found out that one of Kaden's very best friends at church just got enrolled in Kindergarten. They would have had so much fun". And: "Oh - if I had made that decision, then Jesse and I could have two hours every single day with just him and I while Ransom naps. Jesse hardly ever gets me all to himself." And the thoughts rolled on....

But, I DO think we've made the right decision. I certainly don't think I'll ruin him for life, anyway! We have two very intentional hours together every single day, and then the rest of the day is life as we know it, which is really good too. And dear little Jesse sits right beside Mama the whole entire time......talking nonstop.....and feeling like he's a part of everything anyway. So, it's good.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Indeed...it's good! Oh, and I have some cucumbers in my fridge awaiting your post on the relish.... :o)

Jessica said...

Amy,
I had that same panicked feeling on day two, also. It's nice to know I wasn't the only one.