Relish

Okay, I promise the postings about canning and my garden are soon coming to an end. In fact, this may be my last post about it....maybe. The season is drawing to a close, and it is slowly getting out of my system. I'm moving on to greener pastures.

But, this recipe is for my friend Rachael - and for anyone else who has let a few of their cucumbers go by the wayside and realized that they have gotten rather ginormous. It's an awesome way to finish out your cucumber harvest. This relish is a great way to justify not wanting to eat another single cucumber....and yet they keep growing.....but I just can't eat another one.....so I'll just let them grow and see what happens....but oh man, I can't just let them go to waste....whatever shall I do with them.....kind of a recipe.

So, here comes this fabulous recipe to the rescue!

14 humungous cukes - or a whole wack of smaller ones....you can really be generous here
10 large onions - or 20 small ones.....again, it's all "ish" in the amounts

Peel the cukes. Cut them lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Put both these and the onions through a food processor. (Or if you don't have one, like me, just chop all of them up really small.....prepare for a huge crying fest with all of the onions....and plan this recipe accordingly, because onion smell will ooze through your pores for a few days. It's awesome).

Pour 1/2 cup pickling salt over all of this. Stir it up, and let it sit overnight.
(This is how I do it. Baby in sink not required).

Day #2
Drain well in colander. DO NOT rinse.
Heat 4 cups cider vinegar in a heavy pan. Get it hot but not boiling.
Take 2 cups of cold vinegar and whisk it together with 1 cup flour.
To the vinegar/flour mixture add:
~ 7 cups packed brown sugar (a recurring theme here on the unhealthiness of these recipes)
~ 4 TBlsp. tumeric
~ 1 tsp. ginger
~ 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Mix that all together and add it to the hot vinegar on the stove.
Boil this slowly for 5 minutes while stirring steadily.
Add your drained (but not rinsed) cukes and onions.
Bring to a boil again slowly - do not burn it!
Turn down the heat, and boil slowly for 10-12 minutes.

Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and lids.

Yeilds 12-17 pints - depending on how huge your cukes and onions were.
Just to give you an idea of the "general-ness" of the amounts: My first batch gave me 12 pints exactly, and Mom's gave her close to 20! Methinks she had more ginormous-er cukes!

This is really yummy on top of dogs and burgers or just on the side of your plate with any meal. I promise you, you'll never use storebought relish again.

One final note: If you hand chop your veggies like I did, it will turn out with more of a chutney consistency as opposed to a relish. We've found that we actually like the chunkier consistency better. Enjoy, dear friend!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Hooray! Many thanks! (From the sad, lonely cukes in my fridge, as well...) Oh, and I think the aroma of onions is okay on the hands...it's much better there than on the breath of someone whom has feasted on raw onions during an onion eating contest. Not that I'm naming names...just sayin'...
:o)

Kristi said...

I LOVE little Ransom sitting in the sink -- that just made me smile -- man, he's cute. and man...am i SAD i don't have a bountiful garden with cucumbers...i WANT YOUR RELISH!!!!! I am making the jar you gave me last as long as possible...i love pickles, relishes, and all things vegetable...mmmmm...oh -- and...be impressed: i got 4 tomatoes out of my garden yesterday. yep -- that's right. what WILL i do with them all?!