Back in Maine

Whew! We have FINALLY arrived back home in the County! This trip was the longest that we have EVER driven. Instead of staying in Bangor first like we always do, we drove all the way up to Houlton - adding an extra two and half hours onto our drive. We were in the car at 4:45 a.m. and did not arrive to my parent's house in Hodgdon until 8:00 p.m! Our boys were troopers, but man, I do not want to do that trip again for awhile! We hit traffic in several places that we have never done before, we drove through a snow storm for about an hour in Massachusetts and counted 19 cars off the road, and there were several occasions where traffic was only travelling about 40 miles an hour so we just crawled along FOR MILES!

We've got this trip down to a science now, though. We knock off about four hours first thing while the boys are still loopy. I don't think that either Kaden or Jesse fell back asleep, but they were completely silent for the first leg! We always get through Jersey and Hartford, Conn. traffic before rush hour, and then we stop at a Cracker Barrel for a big breakfast. We stay there for about an hour and let Kaden pick out one toy from their store. This toy entertains Kaden for the next leg of the journey until lunch, and Jesse naps for at least a little bit of it. We stop again for about an hour for lunch, and then the boys take their afternoon naps during the next leg.

It's long about late afternoon/early evening when we all start to get a little cagey! Finally, at 6:00 we whipped out Kev's laptop and played a little movie for Kaden. Jesse fell asleep again because it was dark, and the last leg of our journey went relatively smoothly. I get so excited once we hit the Maine border, but we're still a good five hours away from home! Miles and miles of trees........I love them.....I've been craving them....and the silence of the country. But five hours of it with cagey boys....whew! It was LONG! :0)

BUT!!! We are home and we are with the craziness of family and friends and it is WONDERFUL! We've been eating and visiting and eating and digging snow tunnels and eating and watching Christmas movies, and playing games, and eating, and having bonfires, and unwrapping presents, and eating and listening to Christmas music and IT IS GLORIOUS!!

Merry Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home -- I know that is a long trip - we've done it, minus kids, so...I'm sure it was a relief to finally arrive!!! And Merry Christmas, my friend...I got your Christmas letter and sweet pictures of your boys - now displayed on my fridge...they sure are cuties!!! your mom must be THRILLED to have you all home...I heard your brothers surprised you at your graduation!!! I bet you were pretty surprised!!! What sweet brothers!!...I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas, my friend...I will try to call soon...I love you so much, despite my lack of conversations these days...hope you have a wonderful time in Maine - enjoy the trees!!! I know you will...I love ya!!! merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Dear friend,
It is January 7, and I didn't talk to you at Christmas - so sorry...mom said you guys were all sick (again, I wonder, why is it that any news I hear about you is always through our mothers?!?!)...hope your little brother's wedding went well...I still can't believe "little" Aaron is a husband...wow!!! I don't know when you arrive back in Philly, but..just wanted you to know I was thinking about you, and hope we will talk SOON!!! I love you, dear friend...Happy New Year!! Lovies,Kristi

Anonymous said...

Its just me, your stalker... ha ha -- I keep hoping you'll update, but...I see you haven't yet...we must talk soon...love ya, Ame!