An Ode to My Boys...and Their Love of Fishing.

The week's first catch -- Jesse's score!

I have three fishing Hoolies...
And one large fishing man.

They like to fish from dawn 'til dusk...
This is their Fishy Plan.

In this case...the world's largest chub.

The grand, elusive "Lunker"...

Some salmon, trout, or bass...

They careth not the fishy "brand"

So long its length will pass!

This was my view of my kids all week....their backsides.
They'll go without their breakfast..
 Or extra sleeping in.

But this girl here? I want them both ~
No food? No sleep? No win!!

Some days, fishing was optional...naps were needed.
So, while they're up REAL early...
Before the sun is up...

I'm hunkered down inside my camp ~
With coffee in my cup! 

Cascade Stream.

Two trouties caught there on Kev's fly rod.
 They'll work their casting muscles...
~ Perfect their reeling in...

I hear their raucous laughter
Above the motor's din!
My one early morning with them.
 Their lead core lines ~ their fly fish rods...
They're happy as can be!

And an hour or two of quiet?
Myself alone with me?
Caught a salmon.  Trying to measure its length.
Well, this grand plan can work for all...
An hour or two each day!

I'll sit and sip my coffee...
While fish flee in dismay!
One inch too small.  Bummer.
When they get back, I'll hear their tales ~
I'll cheer their fishy prize.

They'll settle in - but not for long...
I see it in their eyes.

"It's okay, Buddy.  The next one is OURS!"
 And sure enough, before too long...
One stands and says:  "Let's go!"

I'll smile into the silence...
And grab another cup of Joe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have u seen my latest post with Ella and her fish and snapping turtle?... We seriously need to work out a betrothal here ;)
Sarah

LaurelM said...

brilliant once again.

Kristi said...

yup. you rock. really.